Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandsquid

freeze watch!!!!!!!

sandsquid
16 years ago

A FREEZE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO DROP INTO THE UPPER 20S AND LOWER 30S ACROSS MUCH OF THE MID-SOUTH TUESDAY MORNING WITH CLEAR SKIES AND LIGHT WIND. FREEZING TEMPERATURES MAY OCCUR FOR SEVERAL HOURS WITH A WIDESPREAD FROST.

YOU SHOULD MAKE PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT ANY TENDER PLANTS THAT HAVE RECENTLY BLOOMED OR BEEN PLANTED.

A FREEZE WATCH MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE POSSIBLE. THESE CONDITIONS COULD KILL CROPS AND OTHER SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

Comments (16)

• oldschool_fp
    16 years ago

AGAIN???
    Guess I'll be putting the sheets over everything tonight as well.

Thanks for the heads up.

• memphistigerlily
    16 years ago

Yeah my neighboor chuckled light night after she saw me doing this and asked "what you think the bushes are going to get cold?" I had to explain to her what I was doing and telling her I was covering my flowers to protect from any freeze

• arjo_reich
    16 years ago

After the rains I got a really++ late start on my front lawn's renovation and didn't get the new seed down until April 05th this year. Now we're having another mid-april freeze this year and I'm likely to have all my tiny little germinated grasslings die from it.

As such, speaking of crazy looks, I'll probably be out in my robe tonight (and tomorrow night) at 3AM with the hose watering the dirt-lawn to protect them from a total freeze-out. :laughs:

After getting a case of sun poisoning from working/amending the soil I'll be damned if I lose it to a freeze.

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

I am ahead of it this year! I left my new babies in the house. I was not going to let the weather take them. As for the others, I have a well dressed yard. Looks so good in linen. I knew there was a reason I did not throw away those mis-matched sheets.

• maemae0312
    16 years ago

I have a lot of containers, I made poor Rob bring them all in while I played on the computer :)

Mary

• sjackwheat
    16 years ago

OH YES, Mary you should definitely have hubby to bring in all of your containers! I am still ooohhhing and aaahhhing over the ones that I got from you at the swap! I am looking forward to getting some more from you too!

As far as dressing the yard with linens goes, I have huge tarpolians draped over large planted areas of my yard. Did not want the Azaleas, Jap. Maples, and Crape Myrtles to look like someone had poured scalding water on them again this year. So all my neighbors think that we are under a major construction project with a water leak.....HAHA! I just let them think whatever they want to........maybe they will volunteer to help pay on the water bill! Jackie

• angelialyn
    16 years ago

Your neighbors think your crazy???? Then mine will be having me committed by morning. Not only are my planters covered with a sheet and the potato's got a blankie but my apple trees got various sheets from roses to pokemon!!!! Add to that all the Christmas lights strung from the trees and in my hot boxes you would think it's the holidays! I use the lights to keep a micro-climate around as many of the bloom clusters as I can. My fingers are sore tonight from pulling the light bulbs to make more stings to cover the second tree. Good luck everyone! Maybe the weather people will be WRONG this time!

Angelia
    Mom to Martin
    Wife to Kerry
    Woodlawn, TN

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

I think they will be...42 and mostly cloudy at 3:30 AM in Knoxville...unless it clears out in the next hour or so, I don't see it happening. Didn't seem right from the beginning (in my opinion)...too much rain/cloud cover for a frost and too late for a freeze (yes, I remember last year, that was a rare occurrence). Any highland folks get it?

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

It got down to 31.6F° here in my little micro climate. I haven't been out yet to inspect. The only thing I covered were my hardy ground orchids (Bletilla). The foliage seems to get toasted pretty easy. My only other worry is my mulberry tree. It is loaded with little green berries. I didn't get a single berry last year because of the freeze. It is sort of a tradition for my kids and I to pick them on Memorial Day weekend and make jam!

Rebecca

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yum Mulberry Jam!!! Hmm... never thought of mulberry wine.

I just walked the frosty yard and the cherry trees are fine, pomegranate looks unaffected. some of my figlette's are just a bit wilted looking, fig trees are fine. Elderberries looks great raspberries are wilted.

I think we'll recover just fine from this one.

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago

We had 29 degrees a little after sunup this morning. But at 5:00 it was still 32.5 according to my clock/thermometer. I only covered a few things I felt might be in danger or were about to bloom. (Columbine)

Everything looked ok when I uncovered them before leaving for work. This afternoon will be the true telling of the tale.

• arjo_reich
    16 years ago

My front-lawn seemed to have benefited from the cold snap after I watered it down thoroughly last night around 6pm - using the temperature of water as a buffer from the cold - and actually seemed to be a good 1/4" taller this morning and standing at full mast. Of course, considering that it's only a peach-fuzz worth of coverage at the moment, that's not saying much but I'm glad it helped. I'll be out there again tonight doing the same thing...

My japanese painted ferns, purple-palace corel bells and hostas seemed to have weathered the freeze pretty well after being watered down and covered with a linen drop cloth last night as well so hopefully they'll not be shocked and will thrive throughout this crazy weather we've been having.

I tell you, since I moved here from detroit the only thing I've been able to say is different about the climate is that it seems a good deal less humid in the summer and the majority of would-be snow falls as rain in the winter. Other than that it's only been +/- 7(F) in temps all year long from where I used to live in the downriver greater-detroit region. :sigh:

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I can't believe it's supposed to get down near or below freezing again tonight! Just days ago, the forecast wasn't even hinting at this. I'm ready to get out and plant things.

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

Only 35 in my microclimate (?) Weather channel says only 35 tonight. I see no damage.

• angelialyn
    16 years ago

Well, I wasn't committed but I had a TON of calls this morning about all the lights :::giggle::: Everything that was covered looks good, everything that wasn't doesn't! We had frost on the vehicles by 10pm last night and it just got worse from there. I sure hope it don't get as low tonight!

Angelia
    Woodlawn, TN

• cottagegirl_tn
    16 years ago

Lower middle TN check in... This morning the lowest my atomic clock gauged was 30.9. I covered my tender rosebuds and a few perennials with tender buds but otherwise I just have too much to cover them all. I inspected the "children" this evening and so far so good. Nothing looked phased. I'm still having flashbacks from last year's disastrous 3 night nightmare! Keeping my fingers crossed for tonight.