Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnhomesteader

Need help identifying a plant

TNHomesteader
13 years ago

I'm new to the forum and not sure if I'm posting in the right place.

My husband and I recently purchased property in SE TN - Polk County - and I noticed a small patch of plants growing that I'd like to try to identify.

Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Victoria

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1280488}}

Comments (7)

• heathersgarden
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum! You're sure to find a bunch of friendly and knowledgeable folks:)

It looks to me like a sedum, probably one that dies back to a crown every winter, like the Autumn Joys and such. It's a wonderful plant and should be a keeper:) Enjoy discovering all the little treasures on your new property!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

It's some type of Hylotelephium (which used to be part of the Sedum genus, but no longer). Who knows what species (or hybrid makeup) it is. H.telephium and H.spectabile are two of the more common of the approximately 33 species.

• TNHomesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Heather and Brandon. At least now I have something with which to start my search. Appreciate your help.

Happy Gardening,
    Victoria =)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

I think determining the exact ID of the plant could be pretty difficult, especially with the ease of which many of the various species hybridize. Most "pure species" in this genus are probably only in existence because of geographical isolation. Once they are brought into cultivation and no longer isolated, they do what comes natural. 'Herbstfreude'/'Autumn Joy' (the most common cultivar), for example, is a hybrid between H.telephium and H.spectabile.

If you really want to attempt to narrow the ID down more, you will need a Hylotelephium key. Two such keys can be found on www.eFloras.org. If it were me, I'd just call it a Hylotelephium, or even just use the common name Sedum, and be happy with that ID.

• blueirismoon
    13 years ago

I live in middle tn. It's some type of sedum. Most people around here call them live forever plants.They're really tough plants.They have white flowers in mid summer and will stay bloomed till frost.

• TNHomesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Brandon, I wasn't really trying to be so specific as to narrowing the species down to an exact ID, but "Autumn Joy" sounds good to me! =) Thanks.

BlueIrisMoon - How strange that I've not noticed this plant before. I've lived in M'boro for many years and I also have a farm in Smith/Macon counties. Oh well, I can't wait for them to bloom. I'm delighted to know they are hardy and will last till frost. =D Thanks!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

"It's some type of sedum."

Blueirismoon, as we discussed above, while sedum is fine for a common name, this plant is not a member of the Sedum genus. Technically, it's a Hylotelephium.

"Autumn Joy sounds good to me!"

'Autumn Joy' is a specific cultivar. Unless your plant was vegetatively produced from an 'Autumn Joy' plant, it wouldn't be 'Autumn Joy' and would very likely vary in bloom color, etc from that specific cultivar.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals