hardy fuchsias --

amazondoc
18 years ago

Has anyone here tried Fuchsia magellanica? I'm intrigued --

http://www.whiteflowerfarms.com/29179-product.html

Comments (9)

• intimidator_3
    18 years ago

Im intrigued too. I have never thought of trying hardy fuchsias, but with a zone rating of 6-9, I would definately give it a try.

Doug

• Soeur
    18 years ago

I tried it. It didn't do well for me, I think becauses it hated the hot humid summer weather so much it went into the winter in a weakened state and succumbed. That's my theory, anyway. Hopefully others will have better luck. I think if the nights were cooler it could handle the hot days, so maybe a mountain climate would work.

Marty

• farmerbell
    18 years ago

I ordered a couple of the hardy fucias from White Flower Farm last year and they made it through the summer and bloomed sporadically. I brought them inside for the winter because I just was not sure of their hardiness and they died during the winter. I certainly will not try them again. As Marty says, I don't think they can stand the heat and humidity of the south.

Ann

• amazondoc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks guys! I guess I'll give it a pass for now. On the other hand, I've just found several variegated fuchsias (non-hardy) that look really wonderful......

• maternut
    18 years ago

I still have a ID tag from a plant swap, says Hardy Fuchsia.
    All that remains is the tag. it was hardy.
    Norm

• jessamine
    18 years ago

i also tried the wwf fuchsia. it was not a survivor. i've looked other places, such as heronswood and they rate all the hardy fuchsias 7 and higher so i think wwf is being a little brash.

j.

• peri__n_eal
    18 years ago

Ann's Greenhaus in Tusculum(Greeneville) has what she calls a hardy fuscia. It was not labeled, so I can't tell you which one.

It was not hardy for me but in all fairness I didn't have a decent spot to put it when I bought it very late last summer. It bloomed pretty orange red blooms but never grew in my very hard clay soil. It was in morning shade and only part afternoon sun.

I have reasonably good success with many zone 7 plants, so given a good siting with ammended soil and some protection, it might have returned. For $5, I may give it another try.

• fernzilla
    18 years ago

My Fuchsias aren't the hardy variety, but are doing very well despite the heat and humidity, I was very surprised
    about that, given they are supposed to like cooler temps.
    Mine are the single variety coral and purple, and they have bloomed continiously since I got them this spring.
    I fertilise regularly and keep them well watered. I
    pinched them back, and they are covered with buds.

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

I'm still interested in these, and considering the list that ForestFarm has, I'm really wondering if they could be happy in half day shade in decent soil on an east Tennessee hilltop.
    Any more experiences?

Here is a link that might be useful: Forestfarm's list (with pictures)

Sponsored