hardy fuchsias --

Posted by amazondoc EastTN, z 6b/7a (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 05 at 0:12

Has anyone here tried Fuchsia magellanica? I'm intrigued --

http://www.whiteflowerfarms.com/29179-product.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardy fuchsias --

Im intrigued too. I have never thought of trying hardy fuchsias, but with a zone rating of 6-9, I would definately give it a try.

Doug

o

• Posted by Soeur z6b TN (My Page) on
    Fri, May 13, 05 at 18:29

I tried it. It didn't do well for me, I think becauses it hated the hot humid summer weather so much it went into the winter in a weakened state and succumbed. That's my theory, anyway. Hopefully others will have better luck. I think if the nights were cooler it could handle the hot days, so maybe a mountain climate would work.

Marty

o

I ordered a couple of the hardy fucias from White Flower Farm last year and they made it through the summer and bloomed sporadically. I brought them inside for the winter because I just was not sure of their hardiness and they died during the winter. I certainly will not try them again. As Marty says, I don't think they can stand the heat and humidity of the south.

Ann

o

Thanks guys! I guess I'll give it a pass for now. On the other hand, I've just found several variegated fuchsias (non-hardy) that look really wonderful......

o

I still have a ID tag from a plant swap, says Hardy Fuchsia.
All that remains is the tag. it was hardy.
Norm

o

i also tried the wwf fuchsia. it was not a survivor. i've looked other places, such as heronswood and they rate all the hardy fuchsias 7 and higher so i think wwf is being a little brash.

j.

o

Ann's Greenhaus in Tusculum(Greeneville) has what she calls a hardy fuscia. It was not labeled, so I can't tell you which one.

It was not hardy for me but in all fairness I didn't have a decent spot to put it when I bought it very late last summer. It bloomed pretty orange red blooms but never grew in my very hard clay soil. It was in morning shade and only part afternoon sun.

I have reasonably good success with many zone 7 plants, so given a good siting with ammended soil and some protection, it might have returned. For $5, I may give it another try.

o

My Fuchsias aren't the hardy variety, but are doing very well despite the heat and humidity, I was very surprised
about that, given they are supposed to like cooler temps.
Mine are the single variety coral and purple, and they have bloomed continiously since I got them this spring.
I fertilise regularly and keep them well watered. I
pinched them back, and they are covered with buds.

o

I'm still interested in these, and considering the list that ForestFarm has, I'm really wondering if they could be happy in half day shade in decent soil on an east Tennessee hilltop.
Any more experiences?

Here is a link that might be useful: Forestfarm's list (with pictures)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here