Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal_2006

West Tennessee

gardengal_2006
17 years ago

I am fairly new to gardening and have such a hard time finding anyone in West Tennessee that enjoys this. I know there out there! Anyways, I would love to try a awap or something or just talk to others on the same side of the state as me. I would have loved to have gone to that Middle Tennessee swap, but only found out about it after it was over. Oh well....

Comments (48)

• katiedidcottage
    17 years ago

Hi ggal,

There are a few of us on GW. I have lived in Cordova, but now I'm in a 'burb just south of Germantown in MS. I'd love to try to get a West Tennessee swap going. You can email me or just post. Where are you located?

Any other Western TN folks interested?

I was lucky enough to be able to meet with maternut & wife recently and swapped a few things and they were nice folks and very generous.

Katie

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

I'm very interested Katie and Selena and I have a 63 acre farm we could have it on in Brighton TN just north of Millington. Although I think we should wait til next year since it is already getting so hot. But I have stuff to trade My grandmothers garden is getting beyond her control and shes letting me get what I want. She has iris galore, And more daylilies then anyone should be allowed to have :) And Tues I got the best larkspur. i have some hostas too. Come fall I hope to get Marty to show me how to harvest the seeds from her flame azaleas.
    Count me in. If either one of you want some of the above just email me at katzswoman@hotmail.com
    Martha

• Jan_Hobbs
    17 years ago

That would be nice if west TN could have a swap, too. I hope you get one going....but still visit the MTPS, too. We always have ours the Sat before Memorial weekend, and the 3rd Sat of Oct.

Good luck.

Jan

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Jan,
    we wouldn't miss MTSP for the world! Maybe I can drag Selina with me next time..LOL. Just wish their were more garden lovers in out part of Tenn like all you in Mid Tn.
    Martha

• leighmac
    17 years ago

Hello Gardegal. I live in Midtown Memphis. My neighborhood association just had a plant swap on April 30. There are lots of gardeners here, we're just busy right now! The swap was a success, so we are thinking of doing it again this fall, perhaps with a fundraiser component for our association. Katzwoman, I would love to help you "rescue" daylilies or irises from your grandmothers! LOL.

• katiedidcottage
    17 years ago

Leighmac, I wish I could have come but your neighborhood association probably wouldn't allow anyone else in though.
    I've never seen that many people from this area posting at all. Its nice to hear from some of you. I didn't think there was anyone but maternut!

Katie

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Leighmac,
    I'm willing to swap if you are......I have cannas (red), larkspur, hostas, tiger lilies, lemon balm, iris, spiderwort, and soon daylilies galore. Also my grandmother says there is a lady near here that lets you come and divide hers Sometime in June for very reasonable prices. When I get more info I will pass it on. Atleast I will be able to set up a table for the fall MTPS. yeah.
    Martha
    katzswoman@hotmail.com

• gardengal_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am so tickled that there are so many of you in this area. An d I would love to do some sort of swap sometime. I would have loved to have gone to the Middle TN Swap , but I didn't hear about it until afterwards. Oh well, maybe in the fall. Is it too late in the year for a swap around here? Even if it is just a small swap? I am new to all of this so maybe it is. Anyways I am so lgad there are so many of you in the area.

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Gardengal,
    I sent you an email and you haven't responded. people have been sending me email that just read and don't respond. I'm willing to give you...what I have. As for the fall swap, I told Jan I would drag you if need be...LOL. No it is not to late to swap. Just read your email and call me. I didn't have anything but tigers, gardenia, and hostas to pass on before the swap. Now I have alot more. And come fall I will have way more. I also am buying even if it is one plant at a time. My goal is to propagate now so I can pass things on. but I still have plenty to share at this point.
    Martha

• covington_gardner
    17 years ago

I, too, am new to this forum! So glad to have found it. I live in Covington and am interested in growing more Perennials. I would be interested in a WTN plant swap, maybe this fall. I have lots of iris to share. Am just starting out with shasta daisy, black-eye susans, hostas, blanket flowers and dialias. Hope to be able to share these in the coming years.

I was so glad to find really great info about growing azaleas from seed. I have some wild azaleas and tried to grow new ones from seed this spring. Had a gazillian seeds to sprout, but they never seemed to grow beyond the two leaf stage. With the helpful information on this forum, I am looking for better luck next year.

Nancy

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Nancy,
    Welcome. This site is just a great reminder that there are truly wonderful people that love to garden. I have things to share and will have more come fall. If you look in the other threads and see Marty's name or Norms or Aprils they all have info on growing from seed. Marty is going to talk me through collecting seed from my grandmothers flame azalias come November. You can individually email members if you have specific questions. If I can do anything to help or you need anything....just holler.
    Martha

• littlebit_gw
    17 years ago

Add another West Tn gardener to the list. I am a little further south than the others that have posted. Dyer Co.
    I have lots of named irises that I could trade or swap if anyone is interested.

littlebit

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Welcome LittleBit.....you mean north don't you???? come fall I will have daylilies....that is if you want.
    Martha

• maternut
    17 years ago

Wow someone is pretty close to Lauderdale Co.
    Norm

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Norm,
    I'm just a hop, skip and jump away from you. I'm in the next county.
    Martha

• sumnerfan
    17 years ago

I live in Gibson County which is very near Dyer County. I also think we need a West Tn swap. It would be so much fun. I am also new to gardening but I am trying very hard.

Kim

• leighmac
    17 years ago

Hello Martha and everyone! Sorry I haven't been back to the forum until now. I would love to participate in a swap for WTN. I have friends here that would love to come that who couldn't go to MTN. One of these days I might get there, maybe after my son gets a little older and my DH learns to cook...(grin).
    As for potential plants to swap in the fall, I have red and yellow daylilies of the old fashion kind. I have a lot of the most common perennials; monarda(red and pink), daisies, black eyed susans, four o'clocks, cleomes, sedums, salvias, tiger lilies and such. I have several coleus that I could give starts from.
    I am most interested in daylilies. I am also interested in irises. I only have one variety, pale purple w/ dark purple. I haven't really looked into getting more, but it sounds like I could learn a lot! I look forward to more discussion and maybe some planning.

• leighmac
    17 years ago

Katie,
    I had wanted to put a notice of our swap here on the forum but my friend and I were afraid we might be overwhelmed. You certainly would have been welcome! It was not a big affair, and we were loosely organized, since it was our first time. It went very well as a small gathering goes, and we are encouraged to try again. I am willing and interested to participate in a larger, regional effort, just for the learning experience.

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

To All West Tenn gardeners:
    Mr. and Mrs. Chandler of Chandler Daylilies are offering great prices on their daylilies. I went there yesterday and would have loved to take them all home. They have over 800. They are in South Millington and are so reasonable on everything that they have. I got yesterday;
    -A clump of a seedling that is light yellow and the bloom is as big as both of my hands....it had atleast 8-10 plants.-10.00
    Hybrids thay ranged from 2.00-5.00
    Notorius
    Midnight Rambler
    Ruby Spider
    Scarlock
    Diane Joi
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Chinese Scholar
    Ruby Sullivan
    Rhine Maiden
    Dominic
    Awesome Blossom
    Brocaded Gown
    Mask of Eternity
    Wish i had more money on me.....But those are just the early bloomers.
    If you want more info email me for directions and their phone number. You must call before going.
    Thanks,
    Martha

• busy_bee_7tn
    17 years ago

I'm north of the state line between Collierville and Germantown and would love to go to a swap sometime. My yard is just 8 years old and I've just the last couple years gotten into flowers, so not much to share yet.. but I'll get there!
    Bev

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

To all West Tn Gardeners:
    I have several things that I have to move or get rid of. I have several hostas and tons of tiger lilies. I have iris and plenty of annuals that I have to move to get some room for more daylilies. Please email me if you want any of these.
    Martha

• katiedidcottage
    17 years ago

Leighmac, you probably would have been overwhelmed had you posted your neighborhood swap here. Now that I see how many there are of us in this area.

Busy Bee 7tn, you live near me. I live just below stateline road about 1/2 mile down Hacks Cross Road.

Martha, I sure wish I could come up with a pocketfull of money to get some of the daylilies. They sound beautiful.

I don't have much time right now, but I'm interested. I have a really new yard/garden and so I don't have a lot to offer yet, but its looking better.

Katie

• busy_bee_7tn
    17 years ago

Katie!
    Do you LIVE at Dabney's!!?? You luck dog you, or should I be sympathetic because your paycheck goes there instead of groceries...

Bev

• msjacki
    17 years ago

Count me in if you guys want to organize a swap. I'm in Atoka and LOVE to trade. I moved here from Olive Branch a few years ago and am just getting my garden going so my trading is somewhat limited.

Martha......where is Millington is the day lily farm? I'd love to go check it out!

If you guys are overwhelmed with the planning of a swap, let me know. I'll help in any way I can.

Jacki

• teachabc123
    17 years ago

Hardeman County checking in! I'm addicted to perennial gardening and especially love the daylilies. I've moved in the past year from a shady yard to a sunny yard so I have both types of plants available and not always a good place for them!

• atokadawn
    17 years ago

Can you guess from my name as to where I am at?

I want to get in on any swaps! I have herbs also!

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Hey guys,
    It sounds like we would have quite a few folks to get our west tn swap going. MsJacki Mrs. Emma and Mr. Bill Chandler live in south Millington off of Sledge Rd. If you are going south on 51 you take a left at Freedom homes. You must call Mrs. Emma and see when is a good time for her. She prefers that you come early am or late afternoon. This is her home so please call her first. Her number is 872-0277. If she doesn't answer leave a message and she will call you back. She is well worth the trip. And her gardens are beautiful. Atoka Dawn what kind of herbs do you have? And I would have to say your from........Atoka...lol. :)
    Martha

• quegram
    17 years ago

I'm in NE West Tennessee, Kentucky Lake area. I'd love to get in on the plant swap. I have 5 varieties of hosta, purple coneflower, shasta daisy, lily of the valley, stella d'oro, black eyed susans. I'll keep watching for further info!

• atokadawn
    17 years ago

I have several kinds of mints, 2 kinds of oragino(sp), lemon balm, hosta, and tons of orange tiger lillies. I also have a long stemed plant that puts out little blue flowers each year.I got them from my mother in law years ago.Neither of us knows the name.lol

• atokadawn
    17 years ago

Oh and I have cannas.There are yellow and red out there. I have beaver tail cactus in the back that I can share too.

• vmter2tn
    17 years ago

I think a swap in West Tn is a good idea too..........I couldn't make it to the swap in M Tn and am also fairly new to growing in this area........would love to meet others and learn.............quergram...........it sounds like we live fairly close to each other........I am also near KY lake in NE West Tn

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Atoka Dawn,
    You probably have larkspur. You should cherish(?) it. It is a heirloom plant. the one you are not sure of. That your mother in law gave you. I managed to get seed from my grandmother this year. Since transplants were a pain and did not like to be moved at all. I got the blue but there are white and pink as well. I feel lucky to get things from her since I cant get them anywhere else. Ya'll we could do things a little earlier then MID TN swap come fall.....they have scheduled there's for Oct 21....We could have ours the first weekend in oct. or the second weekend. At my house. I have plenty of room. Lets just take a vote. Because I will be going to the mid tn swap. And you have to know that the group there is wonderful and it is such a pretty place to be, the river is wonderful and that time of year is the perfect chance to camp.
    Martha

• littlebit_gw
    17 years ago

I think a West Tn swap would be wonderful. I have alot of irises and several known and unknown daylilies.

sumnerfan I was raised in Gibson Co and still have relatives in the Dyer area.

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Ya'll I went back to Mrs. Emmas last weekend and just got a ton more of daylilies. I am addicted......But I think I have had enough of digging. Mr. Bills tomatoes were as tall as I and 4 of me around. I'm 5 foot 2. And I asked him how his tomatoes could be so big already...He said he puts rabbit feed in his holes with a little dirt over it then he plants his tomatoes......He has huge plants and so many tomatoes....I am going to try this next year. Maternut what do you think????? I have found out that I have some daylilies that Mrs. Emma doesn't have and what I thought were regular tigers are very unusuall. They are a 4 leaf petal, overlapping. Knew there were tripods never heard of quads???? Welcome all the newbies to the site. Email me if you want anything. Thanks
    Martha

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

To our west tn group,
    Hey yall!!! We have had a great response for a west tn trade so we will be having it at my house in OCT. Please let me know what weekend will be better for all of you and we will take a vote as to which weekend. It will not be the weekend of the 21st as I will be in Middle tn that weekend. I would like to do it the weekend before but we will take a vote. Thanks for all the responses and I look forward to meeting everyone. Maybe a few of the Mid Tn Folks will want to join us.......Happy gardening and wish us some more rain.
    Martha

• leighmac
    17 years ago

Wow, am I excited! I was just stopping by to check on things here, since it is too durn hot to even sit outside today. Lord, I wish it would rain. My beds are getting a little ratty looking. I have daylilies I still haven't planted and I am afraid I am going to lose them. I really need to get up at dawn but I am a dedicated snoozer and can't seem to break my habit of sleeping until 7. I also work full time and have kids...you know the excuses. Really, I am just lazy when it's hot.(grinning)

• atokadawn
    17 years ago

The first three weekends look good to me. Just let me know where and when you want me to come rolling in.

• katiedidcottage
    17 years ago

Will those who are planning this please add me to your email list or whatever. I am not able to get online much anymore at work because I'm swamped. I do, however, read my emails. My email addy is KatieDidCottage@aol.com.

Thanks!
    Katie

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    As you can see from my new post things have been hard here but not hard enough to call this off. i need some input here....I want to make the mid tn plant swap if at all possible that is the 21st so we need to take a vote as to when we want to do the swap in Oct...........I am willing to have it at my house...I live 7 mins from Hwy 51 in Brighton TN....I have plenty of room.....we all just need to vote on a weekend. Katie I will email you as soon as we have firmed things up a bit......I want as many of us to enjoy this as possible.....Please email me or start posting here....Thanks everyone
    Martha

• justfurkidscarol
    17 years ago

Oh hello fellow gardening enthusiasts! Please count me in for a WTN plant swap!
    I am newly transplanted to a 45 acre sod farm in Toone, Hardeman County. Not exactly sure what I have yet....lots of Iris and plenty of Nandina (Heavenly Bamboo) sports.

Here is a link that might be useful: here's our new TN homestead

• judydean
    17 years ago

May I join in the West TN swap? I have lots of named irises and daylilies - although it sounds like you have enough of them!! LOL! Also have named cannas, pink coneflower, perennial salvias (Black & Blue, Argentine Skies), etc. Please! Please! Huh? Can I?? Judy

• gw:carroll-gardner
    17 years ago

Hi everyone. I am new to this. My niece and I attended the Middle TN plant swap in May. We had a great time. It would be nice if we had a swap here in West TN. There are several gardners in Carroll Co. that would like to see a West Tn Swap.

Sherlie

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

We are still on guys...I just need us to vote on the weekend that we want to do it. My leg is healing slowly but my determination is going strong........we will have the swap here in Oct. Please email me with votes for which weekend.....that's all I ask. Not the 21st..........but I need a vote. Thanks guys.
    Martha

• gw:carroll-gardner
    17 years ago

Hi Martha, Like you I am planning on going to the Middle
    Tn Plant Swap on the 21st Providing nothing happens to me
    again. I don't have much to swap as I have not been able
    to work my garden this summer. I do have a fig and some
    Hibisus seed (Winter Hardy) and some organo. My niece Kitty has plants and seeds she would like to trade. My sister Bea also has some to trade and all are looking forward to the swap.
    My email address is sherlyag@usit.net

Sherlie

• daisy522
    17 years ago

I just found this thread! Did the swap happen? Are you planning something in the spring?
    Linda (East of Collierville)

• raspberryflyer
    17 years ago

Hello, fellow Tennessee gardeners.

I am an organic vegetable and fruit gardener in Hardeman County, Tennessee.

I would be interested in a swap next Spring.

• vickilu
    17 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners! I've just discovered this site. I'm new to gardening in TN, moved to Carroll Co. three yrs. ago from Calif. Have alot to learn about this area! Never been to a swap and very interested! Please post latest news soon. I would love to attend!

• bluebetty
    17 years ago

Just found this thread also. Intrested in the swap....and to see what grows well for everyone. Just mover to Olive Branch from New Orleans.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations