velsgarden

mullien question

velsgarden
13 years ago

Is mullien a good plant to have or not?

Comments (5)

• Dave Townsend
    13 years ago

I've noticed that the Japanese beetles seem to like the wild stuff. It would make a good lure if nothing else. They left my other plants alone last year. I pulled it up this year though so I'll compare how things go.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Guess it would somewhat depend on what kind of mullien you are talking about. Verbascum thapsus (Common Mullein), for instance, is listed as a "Significant Threat" (pretty darn bad) invasive in this state by the EPPC.

• megintn
    13 years ago

It all depends on your point of view about "weeds". Many so called weeds have valuable uses as free food and in homemade medicines.

I cherish my Dandelions for the greens as a vegetable.They are loaded with vitamins and minerals. I lightly saute them with garlic and olive oil. Free food is a good thing. The flowers and roots are used to make tinctures for all kinds of bladder/urinary stuff.

From the website linked below..."Mullein oil is a very medicinal and valuable destroyer of disease germs. An infusion of the flowers in olive oil is used as earache drops, or as a local application in the treatment of piles and other mucous membrane inflammations. This infusion is a strong antibacterial. The oil being used to treat gum and mouth ulcers is very effective. A decoction of the roots is used to alleviate toothache and also relieve cramps and convulsions. It is also used in alternative medicine for the treatment of migraine headaches accompanied with oppression of the ear. "

So, what to do about Mullein is a matter of perspective. As with ANY wild plant,MAKE SURE of its identity from at least three sources before harvesting or using. And, please only take what you will use, and use what you take.

Herbalist and avid gardener, Megan

Here is a link that might be useful: Mullein as medicine

• rootygirl
    13 years ago

I have a question about a hybrid verbascum, Caribbean Crush. I saw it at Fast's Greenery in Nolensville. When I googled it, I read that it will bloom all summer. Anyone grow this one? It looks pretty in photos.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

"It all depends on your point of view about "weeds"."

Well, from a personal perspective, I guess that could be true. If you really don't give a darn about native plants or animals, then I guess you could say invasive weeds could be good if they have some usefulness. From an environmental perspective, it would be hard to justify planting a significantly invasive plant, even one that has some practical use.

Another way to look at it is that the plant in question does have its benefits and can be a good thing in the right place (its native environment or in a greenhouse where it can't escape).