Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird Fungus Among Us

Posted by tngreenthumb z6 TN (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 07 at 11:43

Has anyone ever seen a fungus like this one? Had a few of them last year and found this one just the other day. The mulch I bought at the co-op was full of strange stuff like this.

Any ideas on how to keep stuff like this down? I know that fungi are evidence of good decomposition, but I'd prefer not have tons of toadstools nor these rather obscene looking specimens. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird Fungus Among Us

That's just a "pin" (early bloom) of the mushroom coming out of the surface of your mulch. Because of it's color, I would be a little concerned that it may be a Jack 'O Lantern mushroom which is the only orange colored poisonous mushroom in the states.

You'll know a Jack '0 Lantern mushroom because if you go out in the dead of night, you'll see that their spores grow an eerie green. (Seriously, I don't make this stuff up)

Either way, you're mulch is rotting and it's helping the process along for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Omphalotus illudens

o

Had them last year too.

o

This a posting I posted on another forum. Do you think a mushroom can be 12 inches wide and no inches tall? Thanks for any help.

Hi Tennessee Gardeners, I am hoping you can help me with some problems we are having in our Antioch (Nashville) garden.

1. We had some black mulch put down by our lawn guy last summer. This spring as we were digging in the mulch, we have noticed a white "dust" or fungus inside the mulch. We have noticed that where we disturbed the mulch an orange thing grows for a few days. This orange thing is about 12 inches wide and looks like foam insulation. What is the white "dust"? Good, bad or indifferent? What is the orange thing? Is it connected to the white "dust?"
2. Has any one tried to use wet news papers to keep weeds at bay? I read in a "pass this to ten other people" email about how you can use wet newspapers under soil or mulch.

Thanks for your help, Beth in Antioch

o

The orange thing that Beth has is probably a slime mold. Doesn't do much, just ingests a small amount of organic material.

We've used newspapers under mulch for five or six year. If it's windy we wet them to keep them in place when shoveling mulch, otherwise they can go down dry. In a year with normal rainfall, six to eight sheets of newspaper will decompose under our mulch between spring and the next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here