Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnshadylady_gw

Have rain barrels :-)

TnShadyLady
15 years ago

My new rain barrels arrived Friday, just in time for me to get them installed for last night's rain. The linking kit was shipped separately and so, I only had one hooked up to the downspout.

To my total delight, about a 1/2 inch of rain completely filled one barrel and I have no way of know how much drained out of the overflow.

Mine has a hose attachment on the base of the barrel. I had read to expect sluggish output, but I was well pleased with the force of the flow. I did use cinder blocks to raise my barrels.

I am not very crafty and don't have lots of tools, and so I opted to purchase premade barrels. I did have to purchase a $4 hacksaw in order to cut off my downspout and add a flexible joint to run into the barrel.

Comments (7)

• arjo_reich
    15 years ago

can you link us to the vendor you used?

• TnShadyLady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sure! Am listing the link to show the barrels that I purchased. There are cheaper barrels out there and you can save a ton of money if you can make your own. But purchasing premade ones was the best option for me.

I also wanted barrels that had lids that could be completely removed so that you could dunk your watering cans in them if you want. The vast majority of barrels have a safely cross piece that prevents children from falling in or are completely sealed with only a hole for the water to enter.

The barrels I selected are a bit smaller and shorter than most. However, the pictures on the site doesn't do justice to have big these barrels really are. For me, they are a better size(short and wide) than the taller ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Barrels

• madmouser
    15 years ago

Earth Fare in Turkey Creek was selling rain barrels for $69 (regularly $89). Not as pretty as those, but they looked servicable. Don't know if they still have them.

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Laura, did the rain barrels already have the hardware on it? That might not be a bad deal!

Rebecca

• TnShadyLady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Popes in Maryville had barrels for $175 a piece! Surely as the demand increases, someone will realize that more barrels could be sold if priced reasonably.

I wonder if EarthFare has any more barrels. May have to run by there at lunch to check it out.

• madmouser
    15 years ago

It looked like they had all the hardware. They were out in front of the store along with the painted one for the Brush off. Didn't see any of them out there when I drove by today but didn't go in.
    I did see several people in the last few weeks loading three and four of the barrels into their cars. Regular price I think was $89. They were about the size of the decorated one she had at the swap, maybe a little shorter.
    I live in a condo and don't have an option of using one so I didn't really pay that much attention.
    They had a nice composter out front when I was there last week. I think it was $99. The kind that looks like a barrel that you turn with a crank.
    They have organic gardening options throughout the summer. Potting soil, fertilizer, charcoal (I think). Prices are generally good.

• madmouser
    15 years ago

Earth Fare does still have the barrels for $69 or can get some for you at that price.
    Made a yogurt run today and asked the cashier. She said they still have them even if they're not on display. If they're sold out, they can get more for you.