Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redbird_tn

Preparing for a Swap

RedBird_7a EastTN
12 years ago

I am hoping to attend the East TN Plant Swap that's coming up, but I have never been to a plant swap and have some basic questions about getting ready. When people say they have plants to share, are these ones that they have divided from their own yard or does it tend to be things that they have propogated or grown from seed? What size plants do people bring? I'm assuming it is acceptable to offer plants to any interested taker, even if they don't have anything I need/want? I have a friend who would like to come too, but she doesn't have a lot of plants to bring and wondered if it's ok to still attend (?) I realize there are not a lot of hard-and-fast rules, but I'm trying to get a better understanding of how it all works and what people expect **NOTE: I decided to post this here instead of on the swap forum since there are several swaps going on around the state and those folks may be interested in the discussion as well.

Comments (4)

• tngreenthumb
    12 years ago

I can't speak for any of the other swaps, but I suspect they are very similar. Have a look at this link at the MTPS site. I think it does a good job of describing that to expect. Our own Jeff Toothman wrote most of this up, I think.

http://midtnplantswap.com/FAQ/faq.html

• RedBird_7a EastTN
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks TN GreenThumb. This addresses all of my questions. The East TN FAQ had lots of helpful info., but I just had these additional questions. Now I need to start getting ready...

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Hey Red_bird,

I hope the ETPS FAQ page answered most of your questions. If not, please feel free to ask here or email me through my Gardenweb member page.

About half (or maybe a little more) of what I bring are well-developed seedlings (not sprouts), and the other half are divisions or rooted cuttings. Sometimes I also bring packs of seeds, but they don't seem to be quite as in demand. Many people also bring freshly dug plants (especially things that survive bare-rooted like iris, bulb-plants, and daylilies). Just about anything is good as long as it will survive until people can get it home and planted. Almost everything I bring is potted so that people aren't forced to rush it home and plant it immediately.

Sizes really vary. Much of my stuff is relatively small (1 pint to 3 gallon containers), but I've seen people bring really big things like 4'+ tall trees and huge, old potted plants that outgrew their previous home. I've even seen people bring large plants and divide them up at the swap.

It's absolutely definitely fine to offer to give anything to anyone you want. It's your stuff to do with as you please. I often end up "forcing" people to take my extra stuff by the end of the swap (-;

I guess it goes without saying, but make sure to ask before getting plants from someone. We rarely have problems with this, but I have seen a few isolated instances where someone would take something without asking (huge bad no-no).

Definitely bring your friend! Some people may expect something in return for any of their plants, but some of us are plant-wealthy and really just want to find homes for all of our extra plants. I've seen rare isolated cases where people were piggish and tried to get more than they offered in a greedy fashion, and that never goes over well. BUT, I am always on the lookout for nice people who are newbies or who just have more space than they do plants. I actually really appreciate people who can give my plants a good home.

BTW, don't forget about the pot-luck lunch. Also, feel free to post your haves/wants on the website, if you know what you will be bringing or what you are looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: ETPS FAQ page

• RedBird_7a EastTN
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Brandon and TN Green Thumb, for the great information.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH