Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

MTPS protocol - ths is a 'swap'

bigorangevol
15 years ago

Guys I've had a couple of people mention that last fall there were folks that took plants off of someone's table without asking; we can't do that no matter how good our intentions are.

ALWAYS ASK FIRST! If you see something at a persons table that you would like to trade for and they aren't at their table, please find them and ask.

Also, if a plant isn't on the table then there is a good chance that it is something that has already been traded for and those are off limits.

We are going to have a ton of first-timers at this swap so I'll go over procedures before the swap starts so everyone is familiar with the swapping etiquette. We've always tried to run a fairly loose ship and it works mainly because we all know the rules and regs but I will take some time to go over everything and field questions regarding the proper decorum.

Comments (12)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

I hope your all's swap goes as smooth as ours did. I didn't hear of even a single incident this time at the East Tennessee swap. We've had minor things of this nature mentioned before, but never had a big problem. I think that the small problems before were mostly due to people just not knowing the normal procedure. Most people that come to the swap are just naturally very polite and considerate and problems are usually minimal.

• zinniasareok
    15 years ago

Can you also post the date, time and directions to the swap for us newbies?

I promise I won't snatch any plants without saying Mother May I.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All the MTPS info (date, time and directions) and much, much more is on the website at:
    http://www.midtnplantswap.com/.

You can even get the weather report on there too!
    Please register while you are there.

The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap is Saturday, May 17th at Henry Horton State Park in Chapel Hill, TN.

All these times are CST.

Henry Horton State Park opens at 8:00 and that's when I'd like to see everyone show up.

We need to have everybody set up by 9:30.

I'll do my little dog-n-pony show for rules, procedures and new business at 9:30.

We start swapping at 10:00 and go until noon.

Pot-luck lunch is from 12:00-1:00.

Mr. Holman will deliver his lecture on "Drought Tolerant Perennials and Annuals" as well as a Q & A session from 1:00-2:00... unless there is too much swooning and a riot ensues.

From 2:00 until.... is the normal free-for-all where we are all trying to give away everything that we have left so we don't have to take it back home with us.

If anyone has any questions just shoot me an email.

Jeff

• sdrawkcab
    15 years ago

Quote: Mr. Holman will deliver his lecture on "Drought Tolerant Perennials and Annuals" as well as a Q & A session from 1:00-2:00... unless there is too much swooning and a riot ensues.

You forgot to add the prefix "The Legendary..." before his name.

[Threadjack]
    Favorite Mr. Holman Story
    In college, Lucas and I's Plant Science professor was having (back?) surgery and was going to miss a couple class period while he recovered. We asked who was teaching his Plant Science 101 class in his absence. He did not have anyone lined up to teach it and had planned on canceling it. Without missing a beat Lucas and I had volunteered to teach the class for him until he felt well enough to return to work. I don't think he thought we were serious, but we did end up teaching the class for him. (He lectured on production-scale cloning techniques and I did Hydroponics) [/Threadjack]

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just don't want to see ladies underwear being thrown at him while he's trying to give his lecture!

Not a bad story at all but I was sure hoping for something bawdy or embarassing!!!

You are coming to the swap right? A Hydroponics lecture is something that we've never had before aat the MTPS. Hmmmm.

I'm confused...so does your car bump backwards??? I thought you got a new truck.

• thedaylilykid
    15 years ago

HAHAHA Ryan, I completely forgot about that story. We would have made awesome college hort professors. Are you coming man?

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's only two days away and I'm not feeling the normal excitement from everyone!!!

What's up?

• velsgarden
    15 years ago

I have been trying to register for the swap but cant get it to go through.what do i need to do?..velvet

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Velvet you came through alright...85 times! Now THAT'S showing some excitement; way to go!!!

There may be a booger on the webpage or something. I'll see if Bec can check it out. I think that Dan's came in Tuesday about 20 times.

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

I dunno what is up with that! I thought it was my email that was making them come in multiple times. I've been having serious computer issues for 3 days now. I haven't touched the website, so it must be the service that I am using for the form having problems. Will look into it.

Bec

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Got a booger on the website, flick it off...

I just did a dummy registration and it came through only one time. Must have been a hiccup somewhere.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If that were the only thing to go screwy this weekend my prayers would have been answered.

Thanks Bec!
    Ya'll wanna stay with us Saturday night?