Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atokadawn

List of things NOT to do in the garden/yard.

atokadawn
14 years ago

Lets see what kind of things you can share from "oops" just for the fun of it.

1.Do not expect the 50+ shovel handle to stay in one piece when digging up a OLD, big rooted plant. Do not ask how I know this. But glad my washer works.

2.Do not think a child will see the pond the same way you do. To them it is a great place to hide thier yard toys.

3.NEVER think you can get in to wash your hands fast enough after you pull that fuzzy vine on the house.( trip to dr for shots)

NEXT?

Comments (34)

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Don't expect an almost 3 foot tall plant to be too stable in 30+ mph winds, especially when it's still in a tiny 5 inch pot...lol

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

If your out in your yard bent over digging or weeding make sure the worn out, cut off jeans your wearing don't have 2 large rips on each side just below the back pockets, especially if your not wearing anything underneath. Don't ask how I know.
    jim_6b

• atokadawn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do not read jim_6b posts with tea in your mouth. Do not know who is wetter, me or the screen!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

hahahaha

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Speaking of clothes and gardening...

Don't wear a new red baseball cap to work outside in the rain and then ask your mom why it could possibly be raining red. She laughed at me for what seemed like an hour. Now it's down to just a couple of minutes every time it's mentioned.

• veggielover
    14 years ago

As you have both hands wrapped around that tiny lil tree with ginormous roots, that you are sure will give ANY second, DO NOT let anyone see you when it does let go. Just land as gracefully as you possibly can, on your A$@, weed in hand, victory smile on your face.

DO NOT EVER dig bare handed in your cat's favorite dumping ground. Even if YOUR flowers just happen to be there.

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Here's the one my parents still love to remind me of:

DO NOT delude yourself that you can control which way the tree falls after it is cut by tying the rope around your waist.

My dad liked this so much, he drew a cartoon of it and mailed it to me afterwards.

• atokadawn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When you point out the worm to the child helping you plant, do not be shocked when he eats it.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

This one's from my 21 month old son:

Don't pour a cup of rocks in pop-pop's yard or he might get a little upset.

lol

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

atokadawn, you start some great threads. Thanks for the laughs, guys.

• atokadawn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Come on! Keep them coming!

When putting transplant plants in a bucket of water till you can get them in the ground.........Make sure it was NOT one you poked holes in the year before.

• dlhl
    14 years ago

Do NOT forget to label your recycled jugs for storing water. You can't tell the difference between white vinegar and water until it's too late and the aroma reaches your nose AFTER you've "watered" the plant! DUH!

• atokadawn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, since it is that time of the year, we should have tons of posts in here.lol

One from yesterday: Do not ask why!

When burning off the backyard(pine needlesand cones)be sure the water hose is NOT in the path of the burn. Could have sworn it was behind the burn..............

• paperart
    14 years ago

Do not look down the hose to see if it is clogged - especially if your kid has said it was and he is standing by the spiggot! Was a good joke - boy, can he run fast!

Here is a link that might be useful: garden tips

• maternut
    14 years ago

Notice to fat people. When climbing a ladder to clean out storm gutters, never eat too much before going up the ladder. I rubbed my tummey raw going down the ladder. Thinking about building one with curved steps

• pprattpratt
    14 years ago

always remember,(yes I forgot) If you are trying to reach something in the bottom of your new fish pond you have just recently installed....make sure that your prankster teenage son is no where around or your hair might be wet...lol
    Yes I am new to this site glad to meet everyone and hope to build some new friendships..

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

lol...good one...I thought that was gonna go bad, like, "...make sure that you take the pihrana's out of it first" =)

• madmouser
    14 years ago

Nothing is "out of reach" when it comes to squirrels.

• smshands
    14 years ago

Never take a break under a a fruit tree full of squirrels and birds having lunch! DH got a kick watching me wonder what was falling from the sky!

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

Something I do frequently is to take a break from digging or planting and it is usually in the front yard. What I like to do is lay down in a nice green patch of grass and take a short nap, maybe 5 or 10 minutes. I've had a lot of people stop and either honk their horns or holler to make sure I'm alright. I just wave and lay my head back down.
    jim_6b

• cottagegirl_tn
    14 years ago

Do not expect to sit in that pretty swing or on that lovely bench...they are just garden art and not for sitting. Everytime I try I notice a weed that needs pulling, a plant that needs a drink, a garden implement that is obscuring my view, a puppy digging a hole I did not ask her to...you know what I mean, I know y'all do!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

I sat in the bench swing at Home Depot for 25 minutes in the Garden Center with 2 25 gallon pots & a 3 cu ft bag of MG Potting Mix swinging, waiting for the wife...it was great! =)

• katiedidcottage
    14 years ago

LOVE THESE! I have another: NEVER wear flip flops while planting wildflowers on the steep ledge of a hill. They end up on top of your feet and you end up hitting on your bum and sliding on your elbows. Owch, but very funny looking!

• countrycarolyn
    14 years ago

Dont walk around the house barefooted when you need to mow and there are clovers all over your yard and get mad when you step on a bee. (Uhhh! I knew I had been seeing more bees this year)

When your walking around your yard barefooted and you step on something warm and mushy dont look down to touch it or smell of it, just assume that your neighbor let their dog out and he strolled over to your yard to help fertilize your lawn. (Just Gross dern dog if he wasnt so cute grrr)

• countrycarolyn
    14 years ago

Unless you want a trail of flowers marking everywhere you walked after collecting seeds, make sure that the bag that you collected your seeds in doesnt have a hole in it. (I just got it out of the package I could of sworn there wasnt a hole in that bag)

• nana26
    14 years ago

Don't talk to yourself about or to your plants as you walk through the yard. Neighbors may call the men in the white coats!

• geneo74
    14 years ago

When over 65 do not bend over to pull weed if you have hands in pocket. Most soils don't taste good.

• fernzilla
    14 years ago

Don't wear bright Hawaiian print shirts, when you have Hummingbirds in your garden. You make think you are being buzzed by the Queen of all Bee's. My Husband still laughs at the mention of that.That Hummer followed me with arms swinging all the way to the back door.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

lol...good one, fern

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

Don't forget that feeding time for you is normally the same for the critters outside. I hate mosquitoes!!!

Never back your ladder out to an angle that is too shallow...it may fall out from underneath you when you're at 16' so that you break your leg, tailbone, three ribs and an elbow!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Wow, Jeff...is that something you hope you don't do or something you have done? ;-)

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

I have but I won't again! It's just part of the gig. I fell backwards and landed on top of my ladder in a driveway. I easily could have splattered my head like a melon. Four years ago this October 2nd is my anniversary for that catastrophe. It sucked for three months! Lavonne made me promise - no more roofs over two stories and nothing over an 8/12 pitch. I have kept that promise religiously. I was very lucky and very blessed to have had no injuries more severe than what I ended up with. I thank the Lord every day that I'm alive and not a quadriplegic.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Yea, you are quite blessed for not getting hurt too bad on a fall like that.

• palmetto_gardener
    14 years ago

I hear you learn from experience and this group certainly has a lot of experience. Does that mean we've learned a lot? :)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz