Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting A Flower Garden For The First Time

Posted by shannamu Tennessee (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 07 at 13:33

I am starting a new flower garden and live in Morristown area I am starting a rose bed as one and full perrinals in the other I need to know what type of climbing rose grows rfast and blooms well in this area and what type of perrinals to use to get blooms most of the year please if you know tell me if not can you suggest a good web site for this advice.
THANKS
Shanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting A Flower Garden For The First Time

Shanna,
If you are ever in Knoxville, I would highly recommend a trip to the UT Gardens (admission FREE). It highlights many of the perennials well suited for our area.

I cannot recommend roses (one of the few flowers that just doesn't do well for me), but here's a listing of just a few of the perennials found in my garden that really do well and are easy to grow:

Daylilies - - don't settle for just Stella D'Oros, there are many lovely ones to chose from and many are re-bloomers

Coneflowers

Shasta Daisies

Perennial salvias

Coreopsis

Liatris

Joe Pye Weed

Sedums - - many great fall bloomers

Dahlias

A mixture of different perennials will give you a long bloom season as well as different textures and colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: UT Gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here