Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

MTSP News

bigorangevol
15 years ago

I am extremely excited and anxious (as usual) about the upcoming MTPS.

1.) I think that everyone is going really enjoy our new location at Henry Horton State Park. We are now in a more centralized location geographically. This is The MIDDLE Tennessee Plant Swap. So instead of 2½ hours from Nashville we are now only 1 hour away; instead of 4½-5 hours from Knoxville we are now 3½ hours away; for the folks from Chatt. we are now 2½ instead of 3 hours away so unless you are west of Dickson your drive-time to the MTPS will be much less than it has been.

I understand that it may be 30-45 minutes longer for the Shelby County folks but it is still closer than what the east Tennessee people have had to drive for the last eight years. So in essence, we have accommodated at least 65% of the state with a closer location. To HHSP from Knoxville or from Memphis is about the same distance. I sincerely hope that those west of Dickson will understand and that the extra time will in no way deter you from attending. Actually, from Memphis to Jan & JimÂs the trip was only 48% interstate but to HHSP it is 68% interstate so the drive itself should be easier.

2.) Henry Horton State Park opens at 8:00 CST and IÂd like to ask that everyone start showing up at that time. That way we can get everyone unloaded, set-up, food on the tables and vehicles parked well before we start swapping. IÂd like to have time to spend with you all pre-swap to go over swap procedures, answer any questions and touch on some of the swap business/matters at hand. Plus I could use the extra help! :-)

3.) Just to get a jump on it the fall MTPS will be on Saturday, October 18th. For those figuring what game theyÂll miss it is UT vs. Miss. St. in Knoxville.

4.) If you havenÂt gone to the MTPS website to REGISTER, and most of you regulars havenÂt, please do so ASAP.

Just go to http://www.midtnplantswap.com/ then click on the Registration page. It takes less than 1 minute guys c'mon.

We are really looking forward to seeing everyone again ('cause I sure miss you guys from October to May and May to October) and meeting all the new folks. Actually I'm surprised and encouraged at the huge numbers of first-timers we have coming (They're registering!) so we will have a lot of new friends to get to know which is very exciting.

Feel free to holler at me if you have any questions,

Jeff

Comments (28)

• zinniasareok
    15 years ago

How many people are you expecting to turn out for this swap?

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I expect to have around 100-150 for the spring swap. Fall swaps are usually about half that number.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PLease remember to get to HHSP as close to 8:00 as possible.

If you haven't registered and you are coming to the MTPS then
    (...with my cape on, throwing my towel, down on my knees and doing my best James Brown)
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE go to the website and register.

And NO I will not perform that in public either Joe!

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

You know, Jeff...you really shouldn't give me ideas....

(Couldn't find a "towel" pic on such short notice.)

• mari5us
    15 years ago

JOE !!!!!
    I Feeeeeeellll Goooooood !!!!!!!
    NaNa NaNa NaNa Na !!!!!

Quick !! Find a "towel pic" before the finale !!

• thedaylilykid
    15 years ago

Jeff, Could you drop me an email really quickly! It's not bad news I PROMISE! :)

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Joe that is messed up...you rock! Photoshop phun.

• neophytegardener
    15 years ago

Please take me off the registration list. There is not any way I can be there at 8 a.m. without leaving here at 6:30 a.m.--not gonna happen under any circumstances. Hope you guys have a great time.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Godfather of Swaps.
    King of Flowered Funk
    Plant Brother Number 1.
    The Hardest Working Man in Plant Swap Business.
    Minister of The New New Super Heavy Funk Flowers.
    Mr. Please Please Please.

Where's my cape? Where are The Famous Flames when you need them? Where are the JB's? Oh well, I can do anything as long as I have Bootsy laying down the bass line.

Dude that is too freakin' funny. Hat's off Zig; I'm humbled and speechless. That is a classic no doubt.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tamra you can still come! I'd just like to get everyone there as early as possible. We won't start swapping until 10:00 a.m. Ya'll come whenever you can.

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

Tamara, I think the "get there early" plea was aimed mostly at those of us considered "experienced" at plant swaps. I suspect primarily to enlist our help in getting everyone else settled in as smoothly as possible. At least that's how it usually works. *grin*

If history holds, we'll be reloading my truck in the early morning dew in order to hit the road by about 6:00. But my sister and I are pretty hardcore.

Jeff! Glad you liked it. Couldn't resiste the impulse.
    Rock on!

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Oh, I am so tempted to put that one on the website...

And you thought the other one was bad!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would consider that suicidal young lady. :-)

• ladybug37091
    15 years ago

Joe, that is so well done. Hot tub! I need that on a shirt :)

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

Oddly enough, when trying to match up the skin tones I had to darken the photo of James Brown. Who knew?

(Unfortunately, due to the small size of the JB original, it's only large enough to print on largish button. Order Yours Today!)

But I have to ask...."Hot tub"?

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Jeff Brown for President!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ya'll ain't right!

• ladybug37091
    15 years ago

Hot tub! Eddie Murphy used to do a James Brown skit on SNL. He danced around the hot tub dipping his toe in singing hot tub haaaaaay. Jeff could do a demo at the swap. he he

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I tell you what... ya'll buy me a nice new 5 person hot tub with 50 jets and I promise I'll do the Eddie Murphy "Hot Tub" song and dance James Brown send-up wearing a robe and Speedo. It sure wouldn't be $5K worth of entertainment but that's what it would take for me to do it.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok folks, we're only 145 hours away from swapping!

If you haven't potted-up your stuff you had better get crackin'.

If you haven't gone to the website to register then you need to do so ASAP!!!

• farmerbell
    15 years ago

Surely hope the weather is warmer than today!!!!!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

...and a lot less windy!!!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hit four weather sites (the ones on our webpage) and here's what I got:

54-75 and Sunny
    50-70 Partly Cloudy
    66-80 Mostly Sunny
    71 Partly Sunny

I'll take any of those and be thrilled!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well we're only 2 ½ days away. I don't know about the rest of you but I'm pretty dang excited. It's gonna be great to see everyone again and to meet all the new folks! Lucas will unquestionably do a killer job with his lecture. The food is going to be off the hook as always. With all the first-timers attending we should have a wonderful variety of plants that we donÂt ordinarily see. The weather looks like itÂs going to be fantastic. The park is probably as green and lush as it will be all year. So all in all we should have a magnificent day unless I figure out a way to screw it all up (which is probable)!

Again (and for the last time) if you havenÂt registered then please take the 30 seconds to go to our website at http://www.midtnplantswap.com/registration/registration.html and do so. I promise not to harp on it anymore until Saturday and starting back up again in August. :-)

Since this is our first foray into a new location PLEASE be patient with me as I try and work out any hiccups that may blindside me (and IÂm positive that there will be plenty). So be forewarned that this one may not go off as smooth as normal but IÂll make every effort to take care of it and if nothing else, get it corrected before the fall swap.

Thanks for everything guys!
    Jeff

• Jan_Hobbs
    15 years ago

Jeff, slow down, and take a deep breath. You are doing great and everything is going to turn out fine. I just wish that I could be there to see everyone. That's the part that I will miss the most.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You not being there is the worst!!!

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

We're going to have to arrange a kidnapping of Jan and Mona before the Fall swap....

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I agree totally. I'm a dang basket case right now so you two should feel guilty to some extent. :-)

Ok, I'm pretty much a basket case 24/7/365 but that's not the issue here. I miss my surrogate Mommys!!!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert