Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbatt_gw

Recipes from the MTPS, please!

msbatt
13 years ago

Starting with the Tomato Pie, followed by the strawberry salad.

Comments (12)

• ladybug37091
    13 years ago

I did not get to taste the tomato pie dang it! It must have been good since you want the recipe. Make one and bring me a bite. lol. I would like the recipes for the hot salsa, triple chocolate cake, and Glendas cornbread salad, please. I tried to make cornbread salad and it was not nearly as good as Glendas!

• columbiastock
    13 years ago

Glendas cornbread salad a must, I too missed out on the tomato pie, want that recipe also for sure. Never even saw the strawberry salad. Ok ladies, we will all be waiting, :) ! Oh, and the meatballs, (yum,yum)! !

• msbatt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Which one was the hot salsa? I brought pico de gallo, which isn't cooked.

• mari5us
    13 years ago

Judith,
    I'd love your salsa recipe, please. also the swedish meatballs, jalapeno cornbread and the cocolate cake with pecans in the icing, yum,!!
    Marianne

• columbiajen
    13 years ago

Well, I brought the swedish meatballs. It's so easy.
    2 bags of Kroger frozen meatballs
    3 large cans of Campbells cream of mushroom soup.

Put in the crock pot for 4 hours and voila, there you go.

My mom would love the recipe for the tomato pie.

Garden Blessings,
    Jennifer

• sandyl
    13 years ago

I made the cornbread, here is the recipe!
    Please note I donÂt usually go by a recipe when I make this bread, but hereÂs what I would have to say about making the cornbread:
    Pre heat oven to 450
    In iron skillet heat in oven about ½ cup of veg oil
    Prepare the following in a large mixing bowl
    2 cups of self rising white corn meal,
    3 Tbs of white sugar,
    3 mild or hot chopped Japaleno peppers / This is your call, you can add more if you really like it hot. You can make this bread as hot or as mild as you like, use as many or less of the peppers for your taste. I use the seeds also. I like it hot !
    One 1/2 cups of white cream corn
    I also added 1/2 cup of yellow whole frozen corn for color
    One cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    One ½ cups of butter milk, more or less . Note you donÂt want the batter to be to dry nor to wet.
    Once the oil has heated I pour about ½ the hot oil into the cornbread batter and mix well.
    Pour cornbread batter into hot skillet
    I bake on 450 for about 12 to 15 minutes and then turn down to about 410 for another 20 minutes or so.
    Once the bread is done I sprinkle the top with about ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese and broil for 30 to 40 seconds until light brown.
    I then pour ½ stick of melted butter over top of cooked bread. Don't leave out the last step, the melted butter makes it oh so gooddddddddddddd
    Enjoy.
    Sandy

• msbatt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, the pico is easy-peasy. For the amount I brought, I chopped up 4 large tomatoes, the riper the better, one bunch of cilantro from Wal-Mart, two red onions, and I think, four jalapenos. I removed the core and most of the seeds, but if you like it hotter, you don't have to. I also chop everythng as finely as I can. Then I add salt andblack pepper to taste, lime juice, and my "secret ingredient"---a dash of Klaussen's Kosher Dill pickle juice. It's better after it's marinated overnight.

• tlfox
    13 years ago

I made the tomato pie and the triple chocolate cake - I am so glad you guys liked it. :D

Triple Chocolate Cake:

1 (18 ounce) package dark devil's food cake mix
    1 (3 3/4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix (devils food flavored if you can find it)
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup cooking oil
    1/2 cup warm water
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl combine all ingredients except chocolate chips, mix well (about 3-4 minutes). Fold in chocolate chips. Bake in a greased and floured 12 cup bundt pan at 350 for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
    Cool in pan for 15 minutes then turn onto serving plate.

And last but not least - Tomato Pie:

1 baked-off deep dish pie crust (I use Pillsbury when I am feeling lazy and bake it off to just done, not browned - don't prick it, just use pie weights or I use a knife to lift the crust to release the steam during baking.)

Peel and slice about 6-8 tomatoes. Lay out on cooling racks on cookie sheets and salt heavily - it seems like alot - but this is pulling all of the liquid out of the tomato slices - you don't want a soggy crust. After 15 minutes of draining - blot slices dry with paper towels.

Mix 2 cups of shredded cheddar to 1-2 cups of Miracle Whip (I use less - but it's a matter of taste - when I first started making them I used a lot more MW. For those of you interested - I have a recipe for homemade Miracle Whip - it really makes a difference in the taste.

Add your tomatoes, I go in a spiral around the crust and one in center - and then alternate the pattern to assure even distribution of tomatoes and easy of cutting with a fork without it spreading all over the plate (at least that is the plan). Smear your cheese/Miracle Whip mixture over the top of the tomato slices, completely covering the top all the way to the crust. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and brown.

Allow to completely cool before serving - or it will make a mess when you slice into it. But if you are like my son - it doesn't matter, he eats the whole thing.

Enjoy!

Tiffany

• columbiastock
    13 years ago

Thanks "Garden Ladies" for the recipes, just think how many of us will be enjoying this holiday week-end with our families and YOUR recipes!

• ladybug37091
    13 years ago

Thanks everybody for bringing your best! Judith your pico de gallo recipe is what I was calling salsa. lol. It was amazing. I can't wait to try the tomato pie recipe when my tomatoes get ripe. Glenda I hope you are feeling better. I must have that cornbread salad recipe of yours too.

• flowersglory
    13 years ago

Cornbread Confetti Salad

1 skillet of cornbread
    2 cans whole kernel corn (drained)
    2 cans pinto beans- rinsed and drained
    1 can black beans- rinsed and drained
    grape tomatoes cut in half- as much as you want
    1 med. green pepper- chopped
    1 med. sweet red pepper- chopped
    green onions and tops- chopped
    1 pound bacon- cooked and crumbled
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Dressing:
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 env. ranch salad dressing mix

Bake and cool cornbread
    In large bowl combine corn,beans,tomatoes,peppers,onion,and cheese.
    Crumble cornbread and bacon in.
    In small bowl combine the dressing indg. till well blended.
    Pour over salad and toss well. Refrigerate.

Glenda (flowersglory)

• ladybug37091
    13 years ago

Yummy! Thanks so much!!

Sponsored