Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbatt_gw

What is this thing I brought home, and what do I do with it?

msbatt
13 years ago

(Y'all KNEW I was gonna ask, didn't ya? *grin*)

Mostly I remember WHAT I got, but not exactly what to do with it. I'd love some botanical names, if possible.

Atermisia 'Snow on the Mountain'. I'm guessing this is A. ludoviciana 'Silver King', but maybe not. Full sun, but how much shade will it tolerate?

Plectranthus---do you know the species/cultivar? Tender perennial, or will it come back? Steer me in the right direction, please.

Mos that looks like a fern---you told me what this was, but I didn't write it down and I've forgotten. What does it need to be happy?

Comments (6)

• Dave Townsend
    13 years ago

I brought an Artemisia 'Powis Castle' but I saw someone there with another type so I bet you traded with someone else. Anyway the artemisia you mentioned (if it's the one I think it is) spreads fast by runners so be careful and be liberal with weeding it if you don't like where it's going! It may not spread as fast in shade though. The reason I mentioned 'Powis Castle' is that it doesn't spread. It gets large and bushy but not invasive. I love that one!

• msbatt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's definitely not 'Powis Castle'---I've had that one before. I remember my grandmother having this plant when I was small, about a hundred years ago. (*grin*) What I'm really wondering is how much sun it requires because I'd like to plant some of it amongst my hostas.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    13 years ago

Oh, I have a question about a plant I brought home. That cool looking sedum with the light green kind plastic looking leaves (I can take a pic if that would help...lol). What kind of sun & water requirements does it have? I think the name is on the tag in the pot at home, but I can not, for the life of me, remember it right now.

- Steve

• msbatt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steve, if it's the one my brother brought, it can grow almost anywhere. My mom has it in full sun, I have it in nearly full shade. Hers doesn't get much water, mine is in a fairly damp spot under some trees.

• tlfox
    13 years ago

I think I got something from Rebecca - that I didn't see on her list so I am not sure, but it was with the HUGE strawberries she brought me (Grace says thank you, she loved them!). Anywho - it is a cactus looking thing of some type - very long and kinda soft prickles on it. Inside or outside plant - what does it need? I am planting out a strawberry jar with the little sedums from Heather - and I would like to put this on the top - if it will go there.

And Heather - we had an accident this morning. A storm blew up rather quickly and knocked my planting table over...in the middle of planting my little sedum treasures from you. I lost my little cactus (small green button looking one with long prickles on it). Can you save me one for the fall swap...I was kinda getting attached to it, it was the smallest plant I brought home from the swap.

Also - I got a birch from someone...in a blue? minivan with several children - hubby appeared to be packing up everything. Anyway - I don't know what kind of birch it is... Anyone have a clue?

I will be starting my blog soon and filling it with pictures. If some of you can chime in with names on the ones that had no names, or the tape as faded and I can't see them...please, by all means, enlighten me. Pretty green things in my beds are wonderful - but I like having a name for them in my garden journal so I know where to look for them next spring. :D

Happy planting to all of you! I have already started turning new ground on new beds since the swap - you have inspired my gardening creativity again.

Tiffany

PS - Connie I adopted one of your little plants that was orphaned when you left - a very cool little forsythia with varigated leaves - how quickly does it grow? I am worried about planting it in the beds now and think it may need to stay in the nursery bed this year. Help?

• conniemcghee
    13 years ago

Hey Tiffany, I replied to your email but I'll reply here too:

This one is new to me as of last year. It seems to be growing fairly quickly. I think it's doubled in size in a year. But those were so small, I think I'd keep them in the nursery for this year :)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus