Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No drought !! right?

Posted by behaviorkelton 7-ish (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 08 at 14:21

We're getting some nice, slow, soaking rains.

As I recall, last year's drought started REAL early with barely any rain at all even in May. This year is looking good.

Hopefully, this pattern of regular rains will continue!

I guess that's stating the obvious.

Kelton

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No drought !! right?

tell me about it.
Tomorrow, I'm going to work on felling the 3rd and 4th dead Silver Maple in my yard. All of them were 40 years old. The good news, I have plenty of low-btu firewood and a clean slate to plant some new trees (and it won't be silver maple).

o
RE: No drought !! right?

That is "the good news"... I dropped a number of threatening trees over the past two years and have replaced them with a combination of Forest Pansy Redbuds, different Dogwoods, Hollies, Bloodgood Japanese Maples, and Magnolias...as well as some Serviceberries.

These trees should all maintain a reasonable size and offer a more diverse looking forest garden.

The only downside to the cleared areas of the wooded areas is that the sunnier areas have become a haven for ultra-power weeds such as poison ivy and all sorts of strong growing "what's that?" plants.

It's fun to consider the options for those newly opened areas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here