Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinlo

Are your cannas up yet?

cinlo
13 years ago

I haven't seen any sprouts from my bulbs yet. Just wondering if I should give them a few more weeks or the rough winter took its toll on them.

Comments (12)

• conniemcghee
    13 years ago

Mine aren't up yet either. As I remember, at last spring's plant swap cannas were just beginning to poke their heads up, and that was late May.

• ladybug37091
    13 years ago

Glad yall commented on this. I was thinking mine rotted or something.

• traciham
    13 years ago

Most of mine are around 6" tall now but having problems again with leaf rollers already.

• columbiastock
    13 years ago

I had two beds that rotted, and had been there for 5 years. And one bed that is doing fine, up to 10".

• cinlo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do I just need to dig up under some of the remaining stalks to check out my bulbs? If they've rotted, I'm going to plant tomatoes.

• new-gardener123
    13 years ago

mine are about 6 inches but my mom commented the other day that hers have not come up at all. mine were just planted last spring and she has had hers forever. not sure if that could be a factor? i have a ton coming up so i am going to add that to my haves for the swap.

rebecca

• tn_veggie_gardner
    13 years ago

The "UT Orange" Cannas Wanda gave me at the Fall swap (she gave me 3 of them) already have 6 new ones coming up! =) 3 of the new ones are about 10 inches or so tall (getting big & spreading out well) & the other 3 are 4-5 inches tall and still in their little tube form where they haven't spread out yet. I love 'em! Thanks Wanda! These will so be dug up when I have to move here in a few weeks. I don't care if I have to put them in containers on my porch if I move to an apartment. I must keep them! lol

- Steve

• cinlo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Checked with my neighbor who gave me the cannas to start with. All but a couple of her bulbs had rotted as well as a neighbor's down the street. I should have mulched more heavily.

• tngreenthumb
    13 years ago

Ours are just now starting to show up. But I think we may have lost some. Looks like we lost all out elephant ears, most of which have been in the ground for 5 years or so now.

• columbiastock
    13 years ago

Steve--That was the bed of cannas that rotted, Bummer for me! But we do have a relative in Ga. that will give us all we want.

Joe, that takes our breath away after seeing the pictures of your beautiful elephant ears!! So, does this mean "WE" will see you in May 22 ?? Velsgarden I know had black elephant ears last fall!! Thank goodness I kept mine from the fall swap in the garage during winter.

• tngreenthumb
    13 years ago

I actually have some of the Black Tarro EE's that I dug up and kept in the basement. I knew they were tender. But the Illustrus that have been so prolific seem to have vanished except for a couple that got dug up with brugs. And the BIG green ones are still a no-show. Keeping my fingers crossed. (The Musa bajoo did fine.)

It is looking more like I will be able to make it. We were able to take care of a couple of things earlier than expected so it is shaping up to be a go.

• burwoodbelle
    13 years ago

I do not a single canna that has come up,got some from the swap last year,the others I've had for years. I dug down
    and all were mushy.OH!!!!!! well just another day in the life of us gardeners.Elephant ears and brugs all gone,have
    all been in the ground for 3 yrs. with heavy mulch in the
    winter.

Pat

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting