Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_2009

flooded!

novice_2009
14 years ago

Live in Maury County, and yesterday the rains came down so hard, I lost almost all of my plants in the raised beds out front-established hostas and a new hydrangea plant survived, as well as some white columbines, and a few ferns. Obviously shady and moist here to begin with! My raised beds offered no protection, as they sat in water even until this morning. Lost a recent transplanted holly up on a hill, and the veggie garden- all i had out was onions- flooded. I wanted to cry but then I saw the people across the field abandon their houses as the flood waters rose. Today they began the task of cleaning up-pulling out ruined carpets and furniture. So my situation isn't that bad i guess, but i can't help but mourn the hours of work, money invested, seeds recently sown washed away....

Anyone else dealing with this? Is peat moss, or anything, helpful to hold a raised bed together? What could I plant in these places that will hold on? I hope the rest of you didn't lose much. Much love!

Comments (9)

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

Novice, I'm in Lewisburg and got plenty too. I have not been out yet to check my seedling peppers or all the seed sown in the garden yet. If there is anything with any size to it I figure it can be pushed back in the soil. Seed on the other hand might be washed away for good. My family is fine so whatever I find out there, I can deal with it. Gardening is gambling on mother nature. Most years I find myself saying next year will be better. All my flowers are rain beaten to the ground but last years drought saw very few. Pick up the pieces. The year will get better. Rhonda

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Also Columbia, our rain gauge from two rains yesterday after 6:00 pm measured 5 1/2" before I emptied it. This morning after the night storms the gauge read 4". I know we will have to replant the cucumbers (had not come up yet), sure they are going to rot since the weather channels say we will get more inches before this system moves out. For now my flowers are rain beaten and shrubs all one sided. Got out this afternoon and helped my iris bed (shaking off the rain and dead ending the blooms. But several plants in the other beds just need SUN! Several country roads are closed, and still some inside the city. We did need the rain, just hate it when we get it all at one time. Love Mother Nature Just As I Do The "DIRT"!

• Dave Townsend
    14 years ago

We had a river in the side yard take away a good deal of mulch but aside from that things are OK. We're up the road from you in Spring Hill and I know we got at least 6 inches within a 36 hour time period. I was hoping to see the sun for an hour today, just to have a little drying but no luck, 10 minutes was all we got. It stinks but others have it worse, like your neighbors across the field. I'll be very glad when we have a day of sunshine.

• columbiajen
    14 years ago

We got completely flooded as well. Nearly all the mulch I put down 2 weeks ago is gone. I have never seen my plants such a mess. The Hostas held up pretty well, but the rest is just so trampled. Gotta love mother nature. Too dry and now way too wet...

Garden Blessings for flooded Columbia
    Jennifer

• dlhl
    14 years ago

I'm also in Lewisburg and got lots and lots of rain - and still getting it today!! I think my flowers have pretty much survived, but not sure about our vegetable garden. We had just planted it the week before. Guess we can always re-plant if needed. I guess if I had to choose, I would rather my garden get washed away than my home! Come on SUN!!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Hermitage by Purcy Priest lake here. The lake is getting high up (covering rec. areas). The river on the other side of the dam looks like the Nile right now too. Plus, some streets this morning were like 3-4 inches of water on 90% of them...crazy. Fortunately, my plants are on my apartment porch and not being harmed by the bad weather at all (growing great, actually!). I guess that's one advantage to container gardening & not having a house...lol.

- Steve

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

The storm this morning gave us 2 additional inches. The vegetable garden was looking like a pond for awhile but has since drained off. If ever we dry, will replant the cucumbers, okra and some of the tomatoes that drowned. Still have plants to pot for the swap, just too wet now. But," After All, Tomorrow Is Another Day"!

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

I'm growing some really good weeds right now.

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Weeds, plenty here also. Think someone may need some, can dig those up to swap, LOL. Why will those grow so fast with any kind of weather ? I hate to even pull them up with the ground so wet, there would go my good soil attached!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner