Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootygirl

mcminnville road trip

rootygirl
13 years ago

I was thinking of driving out to mcminnville to see nurseries that are not wholesale only. I am interested in perennials and roses.

I looked on past threads and noticed Mary's, which was recommended. I also found a list of nurseries online, but there are at least 100, as you can imagine.

Are there many businesses that are open to the public there? any recommendations?

Thanks, Rooty

Comments (8)

• burwoodbelle
    13 years ago

Hi rottygirl Check out DAYLILYNURSERY.COM It is 5miles east
    of McMinnville on Hwy.70 So.on Mud Creek Rd at Rock Island
    TN.-call for open hours.No Sunday sales 1-800-454-5437
    LOL. Pat.It was very nice to meet you at the MTPS.

• rootygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Pat!

• razorbackfan
    13 years ago

I enjoy going to both these places. I haven't been to Mary's in a couple of years, but plan on giving yourself plenty of time to walk through it. They have a lot of greenhouses, and if you're like me, you want to check out every plant in each one! :o)

The Daylily Farm is another wonderful place. The last time I was there, they had also expanded into hostas and some other perennials. You might want to go there first, then to Mary's since the Daylily Farm has the better prices.

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're close to Murfreesboro, TN, you might want to check out Martin's. I used to make an annual "pilgrimmage" to McMinnville until I discovered Martin's.

Martin's
    1020 Northwest Broad Street
    Murfreesboro, TN 37129-2325
    (615) 867-7712

Here is a link that might be useful: Martin's Home & Garden in Murfreesboro

• rootygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, razor. Oh yes, I know Martin's well! I bought an Austin rose there today.

From what I can see, Mary's seems reasonably priced, too. I'll make a day of it because it sounds as though Mary's is a fun place to loiter.

• razorbackfan
    13 years ago

Oh, Rooty--you're going to love Mary's. When you get there, get a nice sized cart and give yourself plenty of time.

Here's a link to the Daylily Nursery in Rock Island. Honestly, it's worth the drive out there. When you get there, the family or workers will probably be out in the field (it's a very low-key operation). It's just beautiful out there! They have a lot of daylilies potted up, but when you look at their website, you'll see they also have hostas (one of my weaknesses!) and peonies. If I remember, they have other plants, too--but mostly daylilies, hostas, & peonies.

I'm jealous--you're going to have so much fun!!! Have a great trip!

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylily Nursery

• tlfox
    13 years ago

Hmmm...I may have to take a road trip. I LOVE the daylily site - that place looks wonderful Could you imagine a yard like that -rows and rows of daylilies?

Reminds me a lady we called the "iris lady" when I was a kid. She grew rows and rows of iris and each row was a different color - when they hybridized, she just move it to another row and gave it a new name. When you wanted iris - she handed you a shovel and you took what you wanted and paid when you left. :D

• helencolby
    13 years ago

Don't bother with Summerstone nursery..in McMinnville I got 4 fruit trees and a crape myrtle from them and all are dead as 4 o'clock... and they refuse to even acknowlede my emails..

HC

• catbird
    13 years ago

Rooty: Did you make your trip to McMinnville? If so, which nursery(ies) did you visit and what did you think? Our Master Gardener group from NoAlabama wants to make a trip up there next Spring, so I'm checking things out.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus