Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

MTPS Thank You

bigorangevol
14 years ago

As my time as your MTPS Director is coming to a close it is a swell of bittersweet emotions for me. On one hand it sure will be nice to have this 500-pound gorilla off my back and be able to attend the MTPS like a regular person again. On the other hand this has been a labor of love and it has also been one of the most rewarding things that I've ever done in my life. I owe all of that to you guys.

We have all made countless close friendships that we would never have had without the MTPS and for that I'm forever thankful and we feel extremely blessed because of you. Our little .7 acre yard has been almost completely landscaped with beautiful plants that we received from you guys. The cost of replacing this stuff at box stores and nurseries is unfathomable and there is no way to put a monetary value on the sentiment that is attached to everything. I think of each one of ya'll every time something blooms. So not only are you guys always figuratively in our yard but your always in our hearts too.

I want to thank everyone for your patience, generosity, help and cooperation. This isn't an easy job by any stretch of the imagination but ya'll have made it all worthwhile. Our regular members/old-timers have kept me going because no matter how bad I screwed-up ya'll kept coming back for more with a smile on your faces and in your hearts. What gluttons for punishment! Thanks for continuing to support me as you did Jan and Mona even though I was a huge step backwards. You guys keep the boat afloat and hold us together. The stability you afford the MTPS is incalculable.

Our newbies are the life blood of the MTPS and we need that transfusion or else we die; it's that simple. I think that we do a wonderful job of making them feel welcome and part of our family but we need to continue to make every effort to do that! It's the newbies enthusiasm and their bright eyes ("like children at Christmas") that pumps me up and makes me look forward to the next swap and makes me want to do a better job the next time out. Tell all your friends, family, neighbors, congregation, co-workers and everyone you meet about the MTPS; let’s continue to share the wonder and spread the word!

My VERY special thanks goes out to Joe Weaver and Rebecca Holder who along with Jan and Mona have always been my rocks to lean on and have always been there to help prop me up as well as pull my butt out of the fire on numerous occasions. No way could I have done this for so many years without you. I’m putting you guys in my Will; not that I have anything but it’s yours.

Norm and Barb as well as Marriandretti have always been my main sources of inspiration and laughter. You guys slay me and my life is soooooo much richer because of you! Rhonda, I just don't have the words to thank you properly - you're the bomb!

Last and most importantly, all my love goes to Jan Hobbs and Mona White who started all this by giving their time and effort at their own personal and professional expense. Ya’ll will never have any concept of the sacrifices they’ve made for all of us but trust me - I doubt that any of us would have done the same!!! They have listened to all my whining for years and commiserated with me when I was down and ready to give up (and there have been untold numbers of those nights!). We were so blessed to have those two fine examples of Christian ladies to crank this sucker up and make it the premier plant swap event in the country. We’re spoiled and don’t realize what a unique event we have because of them. I can't sing their praises or thank them enough!!! PLEASE keep both of them and their families in your thoughts and prayers. This is their baby that I adopted so please show them some love. They want to be here so badly but because of their situations they aren't able. As a matter of fact....everyone needs to email them and thank them for all they have done for us because without them there would be no plants swaps in Tennessee - period!!!

Jan Hobbs: buffalocanoeing@buffalocanoeing.com

Mona White: mlwgardener@hotmail.com

As a legacy for Jan and Mona, the MTPS is off the hook. I constantly peruse the internet for plant swaps, plant swap websites and plant swap forums looking for any ideas to improve the MTPS. While I acknowledge that I'm am biased, I challenge anyone to find a plant swap anywhere in this country that is comparable in any way to the MTPS. I'm in no way knocking any other plant swap because they all have their value and place - as I've said many times, we welcome every plant swap that comes along and I'll jump at the opportunity to support and promote those too. We are not here as a competition but rather to complement one another and to help spread the enthusiasm that these swaps engender to our society. You can't convince me that plant swaps aren't good for the mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health of our World! So the more plant swaps the merrier.

If I had to characterize the MTPS in one word it wouldn't have anything to do with plants or swapping...the word is FAMILY!!! After all these years getting to know each of you, I feel like we are one big family. The MTPS is just a family reunion with plants and a speaker. Like all families we don't always agree on everything but in the end it's our love for one another that strengthens our resolve. But, if we don't pull together then we will fall apart so please support our new Director even more than you have me.

I really can't imagine my life now without you guys in it and that's what I'm most thankful for as far as the MTPS is concerned. So big hugs, major props and a huge thanks from Lavonne and I to every one of ya'll for everything you’ve done for us!!!

We love you guys,

Jeff

Comments (7)

• cherrisa
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Aw Jeff! I'm sad I can't make it but on the other hand I'm determined to get to the fall swap and be able to talk to you and not watch you run around like a chicken (organized I must say) with your head cut off :D

• mari5us
    14 years ago

Alright Jeff,
    I've been having a hard time of it and now you've gone and made me cry ! You don't know how much you've given to all of us and it's been your efforts that have kept us going and found us a new home at Henry Horton ---- you are the plant swap as well as Mona and Jan ---you all have our love and we owe you guys a debt that can never be repaid ---you all have given yourselves, not just your time, money and we can't forget your families' time. Just promise that you'll "keep coming back". Big hugs til next week !!
    Marianne

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marianne it's THIS week!

Don't cry; nobody died. I just wanted to get that stuff said so I don't drone on forever and bore everybody to tears Saturday. Plus I don't want to choke up either so you had better not or I'm a goner. There's nothing sad happening at all! As a matter of fact you guys are getting a much better deal with your new Director.

We need somebody running this thing that is smarter, younger, more energetic and light years more attractive. :-)
    I couldn't have hand-picked a better person and I wish I had been smart enough to do so. The cool thing is that your new Director actually DID volunteer. Whereas I was "volunteered" and too dumb to realize what Jan and Mona were roping me into. When they asked me to be the Swap Secretary I said yes thinking that they wanted me to keep notes. DUH!!! They should have volunteered me to be the Swap Moron; well in a way I guess they did. :-)

To be perfectly honest, I feel like I've been a failure. Let me preface that before you go nuts on me. I had something incredible dropped in my lap. All I had to do was keep the status quo with a little steady influx of new members. The potential was there to grow this into one of the most amazing events in the South and still keep our level of intimacy. That's still doable! I had many goals and dreams of what we could eventually be. Sadly, all I did was find a different spot to hold the event and my goals and dreams were never realized. I could have accomplished so much more if I had the time. So in that regard I feel like I failed the MTPS and all of you guys.

So don't go slapping me on the back for a job well done. I feel like the one-talent servant in Matthew 25. I wasn't even good enough to be the two-talent dude much less the five-talent guy. I really didn't improve a single thing and in some aspects the MTPS has regressed under my care.

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

Jeff. You have done a fantastic job! Surely you realize that everyone embraces you. I don't know how you can say that the MTPS has regressed in any form or fashion under your watch. In fact your welcoming, friendly smile will forever be associated with orange. So don't go thinking anyone will ever forget who you are or not be able to pick you out in the crowd for a hug, question or complaint. Anyone who has ever attended a swap can see the hard work you have always put in to it. You are a huge success. We love you man!

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

BOV, I tried to email that info you wanted this morning and it all bounced back as being blocked by comicast as spam.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bec I got a dozen of 'em.

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

Hmmm ok!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?