Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Searching for Eucalyptus

Posted by allisonhood86 TN (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 15:58

I am searching for a Eucalyptus that is fully grown in a public space that I can have a picnic under. I was proposed to in Napa Valley under a Eucalyptus tree and the smell is beautiful. Around Knoxville would be ideal, but it would be nice to find out if there is one in the state or in nearby states. If anyone knows where one is, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Allison

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Searching for Eucalyptus

There used to be some decent sized ones over at the UT Gardens, but a cold winter killed them. I think they may have a small one now, but it's nothing to have a picnic under. Only a few types of Eucalyptus stand a chance of survival here in Knoxville, and even those few are very marginal. In a protected location, they may be "doable". Of course, such a protected location (near a building, etc) may not be the best backdrop for a picnic.

o
RE: Searching for Eucalyptus

allison, three eucalypus species were planted in the UT trial garden some 10-15 years ago. I do not remember the species names of all three, but I do know that single tree that has survived and is doing well is E. neglecta. Based on the lowest winter readings here in Knoxville, the species has seen at least 5 degrees with no apparent damage. It appears to be one of the slower growing species and I am guessing that it is not one of the larger eucalyptus; it is currently about 20 feet. My guess is that it is probably growing about a foot and a half a year. In regards to finding the tree in a local nursery, I have yet to see it. I have, however, been requesting it at multiple nurseries in the Knoxville area. Hopefully someone may eventually find a supply of the species and introduce it to the area. My recommendation would be to find the species through a mail order nursery and order it. Look for Eucalyptus neglecta.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here