Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to plant grass seed/what kind

Posted by moparstone TN/KY (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 11 at 16:13

Greetings all,

I am looking to "rebuild" my back yard, I put weed/grass killer on it last year since I was going to be deployed to Afghanistan and its on a steep hill, the price was outragous to have a service cut it. I am on the KY/TN border area mid-sate and there is nothing but rock and clay. We have been here 5+ years and this whole time there has been nothing but weeds. I want to get a decent grass footprint going here without weeds, nothing to extravagant just something that can be cut down without tearing up mowers/blades/decks etc.

Thanks!

Ryan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to plant grass seed/what kind

Generally speaking, you want to plant grass in the fall or early spring. The grass needs time to sprout and get some growth before hot weather.

o

Up here, and esp in KY I'd say go with a 'cool-season' grass, like tall fescue. Warm season grasses like zoysia and bermuda are great for summer droughts, but are brown all winter and half-way into spring. Plus as a gardener, I think they're a nightmare beyond words they way they creep into beds. You'll need to amend your soil to keep the grass healthy.

Another option. When we first moved onto our property it was barren, so we planted white clover and were very pleased with how well it grew, stayed green throughout the summer and was remarkable drought tolerant. Bonus: blooms that attracted butterflies and bees. In the fall we seeded out grass into the clover lawn and it did quite well.

One last thing, you'll double your chances of success if you plant grass in the fall VS spring.

o

Here are some links that I think you'll find very helpful...

Here is a link that might be useful: UT Extension Publication PB1576: Fescues

o
Re: Best time to plant grass seed/what kind

...another link...

Here is a link that might be useful: UT Extension Publication PB1038: Lawn Management

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here