Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something's bugging me....

Posted by tngreenthumb z6 TN (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 16:24

Just thought you good folks might like a peek at some of the bugs I encountered recently. All Tennesee natives, I believe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something's bugging me....

Joe, you and that camera are amazing...keep the pics coming...I thoroughly enjoy seeing them.

Jan

o

• Posted by soeur z6b TN (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 07 at 21:37

Those are lovely pics. I got curious about the dragonfly and research shows it to be a female Common Whitetail. There are seemingly a billion types of damselflies, so that's about as far as an ID goes for the second dragonfly-like insect. The first butterfly on the purple vetch is a Great Spangled Fritillary (isn't that a luscious name?) and the little guy on the rock is a Pearl Crescent. And that's Polistes carolina, the red paper wasp. Paper wasps are one of the gardener's best friends. They eat bad guy bugs, caterpillars in particular. They love corn earworms.

All insects shown are native.

Marty

o

Thanks Marty. The best ID I could make for the first butterfly was Aphrodite Fritillary. But then I was just googling butterflies.

The color on the wasp may be a bit misleading. This isn't what we normally call a red wasp. These are a darker color, mostly brown to nearly black. I think the flash brightened it up a bit.

And while I do usually leave the nests where they are, I DON'T like them under my wicker chairs. *grin*

o

Dude, do you have that camera slung around your neck 24/7?

Great pics!

So where are the ones from the swap?

o

bigorangevol:
Nah. Only about 16/7. Gotta shower and sleep sometime.

I posted them and you've not said a word. And I managed to keep you mostly out of all but two of them. That'll stop.

o

I was happy about the quantity or lack thereof that I was in but if I get/look any fatter then you'll have to start using the wide-angle panoramic lens.

I've been pretty hammered with jobs lately so I haven't had a lot of time to get to GW. You know my opinion of your photography abilities. The pics look great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here