Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_2009

what are you doing this year?

novice_2009
13 years ago

Hey fellow TN gardeners!

I was wondering what you are growing this year.

What are you growing in the veggie garden? Flowers? Plants?

What new stuff are you planting/growing?

Any lessons learned from the previous year you'd like to share?

Just wondering.

Comments (15)

• atokadawn
    13 years ago

Water plants are doing great right now! LOL!
    I have all kinds of new goodies to plant and try.
    The garden this year is mainly tomatoes, bell peppers, squash, and green beans.
    Last year was a wash out due to rain and a cold spring.

• ladybug37091
    13 years ago

This year I am tending to the strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and flowers. My tiller has serious issues so any maters and such will get tucked into the flowerbeds.

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for responding!
    atokadawn, what kind of beans do you plant? I plant bush beans. This year I'm putting them in a different location.
    Trying zucchini for the first time this year, also a bush type. Totally clueless on that, never grown squash before.
    My veggie garden is also going to be the usual herbs-dill, basil, etc. My tomato seedlings, crimson sprinter and peacevine cherry, are ready to go out. They've gotten leggy, I guess not enough light, got a late start, didn't pot em up into bigger pots. I'm also growing cucumbers, because I LOVE them, and so does my 5yr old daughter. I'm going to try direct seeding them this year.
    Last year was disappointing due to weather-praying this year will be better.
    I'm growing a type of echinacea native to TN. The seedlings have poked out and are growing. Going to try to start some other herbal perennials from seed this year.
    Going to plant calendula also.
    Got a new problem, in addition to moles. Now it's voles(I think)that started last winter making little holes in my flower beds, eating roots of plants. Got to find a way to keep them out (organically). Don't want to have to set out mouse traps baited with apple slices.
    Lesson learned from last year:
    I'm such a newbie, and there's so much to learn!

• syrinn
    13 years ago

This is my first season starting things from seed, it has definately been an interesting experience! The stuff that I have right now that has taken root and doing well are

Veggies and herbs - red delicious and grape tomatoes, red and yellow bell peppers, and my eggplants just sprouted. I've got lime mint, pinapple mint, chocolate mint, peppermint, spearmint, common and russian sage, oregano, catnip, lemon balm and passion flower.

Flowers - I just pulled up my early spring bulbs to seperate them (purple hyacinth, daffodils, and red and orange tulips). I have a ton of morning glories, moonflowers, and marigolds coming up. My snapdragons from last year have started to bloom. I have a mandevilla, bouganvilla, black-eyed susan vine, and several wildflowers coming up. :) I have a few things coming up that I can't remember what they are. Guess I'll find out when they bloom!

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

syrinn, where do you grow your lemon balm? I read it needs full sun, put the plant out in full sun and it died. Is this something that likes a little shade?

• tlfox
    13 years ago

I am rediscovering my love for the garden - health problems kinda turned my green thumb brown, but I am determined to have the land of hummingbirds again.

This year I have a newly aquired pomegranate tree - so excited!! And we have coral honeysuckle, bearded tongue, larkspur, butterfly bush, gardenia, foxglove, moss rose, balsam (indian touch me not), creeping jenny, balloon flower, salvia, petunias, lava oxalis, jade trees, coral palm trees, mickey mouse cactus, ice plants, dianthis, lotus plants, water lily, flag iris, dutch iris, bearded iris, lily of the valley, and allysum. Veggies and herbs - we have german pink tomato, german yellow tomato, better boy tomato, sweet 100 tomato, celebrity tomato, mercury red pepper, dill, six different basils, sage, rosemary, catmint, and parsley. It's a pretty good start for a new beginning - already have hummingbirds buzzing my head while I have my coffee in the morning.

Anybody going to the Mid TN swap or the East TN swap?

• new-gardener123
    13 years ago

syinn- pineapple mint and lime mint?? sounds awesome! where did you find that?

tlfox- what kinds of basils?? i LOVE basils!!

rebecca

• tlfox
    13 years ago

Greek, sweet, purple, genovese, lemon, and thai. I use it all in cooking - so I figure why buy it - I bet mine would taste better than store bought anyway. :D But when you make every sauce, every marinade, every dressing, every condiment - everything - from scratch - you realize how much flavor you loose using commercial made. And then you realize how much more flavor you could add with fresh ingredients from the backyard. Love to cook - so by the time the garden is over and it's cold outside - I will be up to my eyeballs in filling the freezer with all kinds of goodies from the growing season. Yummy...

• palmetto_gardener
    13 years ago

I have a new (to me) yard. It's filled with trees and some shrubs. I am adding two smallish beds, one shade, one sun. I am also trying tomato vines on top of straw bales. Saw some on the internet and a member of my garden club has grown lettuce on top of straw bales so we'll see.

• tlfox
    13 years ago

That sounds cool - let us know how it goes.

And to add to my list...I am thinking about signing up to take the Master Gardener certification in my county. Any of you done that? Any thoughts on it you would like to share?

• Dave Townsend
    13 years ago

Definitely take the MG class. It's fun and informative!

My big project is still in progress but I'll post a picture.

I started it last fall and it's still in progress. All the windows are reclaimed. On the right side where you can't see there are two large picture frame windows.

I was inspired by Gardenwebber Wyndyacre who has a really neat greenhouse/garden shed. I'll post the link to her shed below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Garden Shed

• april_h_o April Moore
    13 years ago

That so-called shed looks fantastic! I could live there. :-) I am majorly jealous!

Chip and I may invest in a 4X4 greenhouse for this winter - not sure yet, since for various reasons we are actually contemplating a move. But even if we move it will take us months yet to find what we'd like - we've picky.

Just finished the garden wall and the coffee patio too! Such a drag to think about leaving it.

• Dave Townsend
    13 years ago

Thanks April! I couldn't have done anything without Craigslist! ;) You can really find some neat stuff there. The garden walls sounds cool, any pictures coming? ;)

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow you guys are busy! tlfox, LOVE thai basil...fresh from the garden can't be beat. That shed is sooo impressive. I'd love to one day have something like that.
    I'm getting a late start this year, but I hope it all works out....
    Let us know how it all turns out!

• april_h_o April Moore
    13 years ago

I may post photos or I may swap some out in my slideshow for the swap, if I have time. I do have some taken already, but have had some computer issues - we'll see if I can get it all sorted out in time. Luckily the camera works just fine. :-)