Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinlo

Help in Choosing Hydrangea?

cinlo
13 years ago

I'd love to start growing some hydrangeas. When I went to the local nursery, I was overwhelmed by all the choices, and I think I was given some misinformation according to what I've read online. I'd like to know how they fare here in Middle Tennessee. Can anyone comment on these varieties (i.e. bloom time, size, sun/shade conditions)? Thank you!

Annabelle

Limelight

Pee Gee

Endless Summer

Forever & Ever

Comments (6)

• conniemcghee
    13 years ago

I have Limelight...it is new to me as of last fall. Mom grows it with success. I like the color of the blooms, and that they turn pink in the fall. :)

• arleneb
    13 years ago

I can't speak for Middle Tennessee, but I had Limelights in Indiana - different zone, of course, but I was really impressed with them. I planted 5 one fall, southeast side of the house, and they grew like weeds. We sold the house three years later and they were huge. Bloomed prolifically! I like the snowball shape of Annabelles better; these are more conical. But they bloomed like mad and I loved them. I plan to try them here as well.

OTOH, my Endless Summers were pretty much a washout. I was very disappointed . . . they never lived up to their promise. I had 2 in the same conditions as the Limelights and two in another location, and all 4 just dwindled year after year.

• limelight
    13 years ago

i have several varieties. they all seem to be doing great. just make sure i out them in the right location.
    my limelight gets full afternoon sun and blooms amazing and grows like i weed. i have to keep trimming it.
    my annabelle is a beautiful pink and its planted along the east so it gets only morning sun...as does my mophead and its huge and has every color imaginable. i have variageted lacecap and they are along the north part of my shed and they get very little sun but are quite pretty with blue flowers. i have several planted this last year that are just now starting to bloom. i think i have an endless summer, blushing bride- its white with the edges tinted with a soft blue. i also have a few other varieties whose names are escaping me.

• limelight
    13 years ago

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2047292&id=1026968034&saved

here's my facebook link to my hydrangea album.

• cinlo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions/comments. I purchased a Limelight, 2 Forever & Ever Togethers, an Annabelle, and 2 Pee Wee Oakleaf. My yard really needed some blooming shrubs. I can't wait for them to mature. All seem healthy and happy where they are right now.
    Limelight, I don't have a facebook acct., so couldn't view your page. I'm sure they're lovely!

• cottagegirl_tn
    13 years ago

I have annabelle in a morning sun position, it's about 3 yrs old and gets more fabulous each year! I also have pee gee and it does not like to be planted anywhere near another tree. I moved it to a full sun location away from competing roots and couldn't believe the bounce back! I planted a small limelight last fall that is really growing in a semi sun position but haven't seen the first blooms yet..plant looks very healthy. Hope this helps!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida