Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
UT Gardens Spring Plant Sale, Saturday, May 9

Posted by madmouser 7 TN (My Page) on
Wed, May 6, 09 at 17:19

The sale is this Saturday, May 9, from 9 am to 2 p.m. at UT Gardens. The Gardens are located on Neyland Drive west of downtown and east of Alcoa Highway.
The spring sale offers some of the best plant selections in the region: everything from trees and shrubs to fruits, vegetables, herbs, annuals and perennials. Roses are the featured plant of the sale with a wide variety of selections available including many no-spray cultivars.
It's also a great time to take a walk through the gardens and see what does well here and what's on trial. The gardens were re-designed last year and include an enabling garden as well as a new entry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Map to UT Gardens

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UT Gardens Spring Plant Sale, Saturday, May 9

And if you go visit the new water feature while you're there, you'll see the big koi I donated a coupla weeks ago. :-)

o

Thank you! I didn't have this one on my calendar.

We visited the gardens after the Arboretum and Ijams sales, our guest was impressed but I was a little sad. The big Eucalyptus tree was gone, and many of the garden beds were gone or weedy.

o

I said many bad things to James when I saw that they had taken out those upper beds. He PROMISED me that they are putting new beds in, but it's still upsetting to see all the changes!

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, May 8, 09 at 11:14

I can still remember back in the old days when it seemed the UT Gardens were more about plants than whatever they are about now days. Hardscape is nice, but it needs plants to go with it. Some garden art is great, but tacky garden art is tacky. Lots of tacky garden art without plants looks even more tacky.

I'm still looking forward to seeing what they do this year. Maybe things have hit bottom and will improve from this point on. At least I hope that's what happens. FOG is doing a good job on their publications and newsletters. I got my quarterly newsletter a few days ago and thought it was one of my horticultural magazines at first glance.

o

Well, I already know that they're putting in a new rose garden -- about 150 plants, I think -- as well as a bunch of dogwoods from Don Shadow. So it isn't ALL hardscape, but it's still stressful!

o

Thanks for the reminder!
I bought an Agave, some pretty Coleus ($2!) and some mints.
They had some nice big Azaleas but those were snapped up really fast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here