Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyl121261

Picture of my Clematis for my Tenn Gardening Friends

sandyl
13 years ago

I usually post picture's of my clematis over on the Clematis Forum but thought ya'll might not other wise see some of my Clematis's so I am posting a picture of my Jackmanii picture taken today May 26th-2010 here so my Tenn Gardening Friends can injoy them. Also a picture of Sprinkles, and a picture of Ramona, and a picture of my Koi pond. I have severalclematis now in full bloom and I truely enjoy them. I have a totally of 23. Enjoy Sandy

{{gwi:604942}}

Sprinkles

{{gwi:589824}}

Ramona

{{gwi:589746}}

Pond

{{gwi:237589}}

Comments (16)

• columbiastock
    13 years ago

Beautiful, Beautiful!! Are they sprinkled with the Gold Poo!! Wonderful idea for the post with the wire wrapped around. Ramona has almost filled in so much, just a little more and everyone would want to know what plant is that would stands alone.

• sandyl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep Wanda they are all fed the food of Champion Clematis's >GOAT POO, GOLD POO. everything around here is fed goat poo, but the manufacturer of the poo,hehehe oh and of cource the koi in the pond they don't get poo. but I do also use the fish waste from the bio filter on my plants, but i drain the bio filter just a couple times a year so not a lot to be had of that. Sandy

• ladybug37091
    13 years ago

Lovely pics, Sandy! I too love clematis. Kathy says nearly impossible to root without mist. What a shame because I have some that I would like to have more of to share. Do you have any red clematis? I have a Niobe. It is not grown as fast as the others but I so love the red. Thanks for the post and wire idea!

• sandyl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi ladybugs ! I have Barbara Harrington and Cardinal Wyszynski which are both reds but they aren't in bloom right now. Here are pictures of Warsaw Nike and Liberation,and Asao picture taken a little while back. Sandy {{gwi:589748}}
    Liberation
    {{gwi:583826}}

And Asao
    {{gwi:584076}}

• conniemcghee
    13 years ago

Hey Sandy! Wow, all are beautiful!! I have a Jackmanii too, this is the third year on it, and it is kicking butt right now! I only have that one and Huldine, which is in its second year. This year is the first it's bloomed, and I have to say I'm not blown away. Small blooms. It's supposed to be the "best white rebloomer," though, so maybe what it lacks in personality it will make up for in performance. :)

Rhonda, I tried to root some Huldine earlier this spring when one of the vines broke off, and no luck for me. :( I didn't use mist, though.

• sandyl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Connie. Jackmanii(Jack) is a beautiful sight, so glad you have him. I also have a baby Huldine that I just got earlier this spring and it has 2 little bity buds on it. If you have a long vine on them you can bury one of the leaf sections and keep it very moist, don't let it dry out and by late fall you might be able to seperate it from the parent plant and have ya a baby plant, that is the easiest method I have found. I did that with Asao and gave it the baby plant to mom and it bloomed for the first this spring with 4 or 5 + blooms on it. Have a great weekend. Stay cool. Sandy

• ladybug37091
    13 years ago

Sandy you are going to have me burying clematis all over the place. lol. I just planted a carnaby. I never find reds out on my adventures.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Sandy, you should post a photo album with every cultivar you grow. 23, wow! It sounds like you have a very impressive collection!

Ladybug, Here's a few samples from Klehm's Song Sparrow Farm and Nursery to further your clematis lust a little. (-;

Here is a link that might be useful: Klehm's Song Sparrow Farm and Nursery

• ladybug37091
    13 years ago

Yall are not helping this womans addiction!lol. The red clem in the middle is called Rebecca. I must have it. Yes, it will be mine! Someday..as it is on backorder.

• fernzilla
    13 years ago

I requested Keim's catalog for several of my garden Buddies, and they were just thrilled. This year I have four new Clems
    and have been so pleased with them all. I got a Josephine last year , and was so pleased i got another this Spring. A local nursery Stringers was closing one of thier locations last year, so I got two for only 6.00 each. Once was a Vitacella caled Galore, and it was spectacular a month ago. Another
    One which was supposed to be Guernsey Cream ,tuned out to be another Vitacella called Avante Guard. It so different
    from my others. I got an Arctic Queen in may and it has
    already climbed up my Arbor and is in bloom. I LOVE this one...huge double white blooms, and tons of buds. Very floriferous. I may have to have another of these.I was
    using fish emulsion as a fertilizer, so as not to burn them. I've heard Miracle Grow fertilizerfor Roses is great for Clematis.

• ladybug37091
    13 years ago

That sounds gorgeous! I need several supports and a white clem now too! lol

• cottagegirl_tn
    13 years ago

Sandy, you make my paltry 4 vines look very small time! Your yard is so neat and tidy. Loved seeing your pics. I wonder how well clematis root with layering? Anyone try out there?

• paperart
    13 years ago

You can root them by layering. I wrote instructions last year in a blog post. The fastest way is mist but layering works - takes about a year. Link to post below

Here is a link that might be useful: propagating Clematis

• novice_2009
    13 years ago

Sandy, they are beautiful. My grandmother used to garden a little, with roses, tiger lillies and clematis. There is one clematis in her back yard still, but it looks sad.
    She's not able to garden anymore but looks outside to see it bloom every year. Is there anything I could do to make it look better for her?
    I've been so busy with my own garden I haven't been able to pull all the weeds I promised I would for her. The clematis is climbing a stake, and competing with those weeds. It looks nothing like yours!
    Any tips on what I could do to make it look better for her?

• sandyl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hummmm. My first question would be do you know the name of the clematis? would also help to know the prunning type? if neither of these are known then about how old is the vine and has it ever been prunned and if so how long ago? Does the vine seem to bloom up high and is the vine very leggie? How many vine's are there coming from the ground? I know that's a lot of questions. Lets assume we don't know the answers except it blooms high up and hasn't been prunned in several years or many years. Prunning a neglected clematis isn't going to hurt a thing. I just would not do it this time of the year unless you can make very sure to keep it well watered and mulched. Clematis love mosit feet and I water most of mine with the dry weather we are having here in middle TN right now,I try to water mine every other day. I'm not scared to hard prun a clematis because it just really does nothing put rejuvenates them to sprout out from the ground more and more vines. Mulch well and water well is the key to reviving a neglected clematis. Sandy

• conniemcghee
    13 years ago

Sandy, thought about you today: Lowe's had a bunch of clematis on their clearance rack, $5 each for pretty mature looking plants in 2 or 3 gal. containers. :) I don't remember the names, though.