Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

Enjoy this Memorial Day but...

bigorangevol
16 years ago

While everyone is grilling, swimming, traveling and having a fun time in general let us not forget that today SHOULD be for promoting the spirit of unity and remembrance through observance of Memorial Day by ensuring that nation remembers the sacrifices of America's fallen from the Revolutionary War to the present and for recognizing those who served and those who continue to serve our great nation and reminding all Americans of their common heritage.

Memorial Day is NOT the day the freakin' pool opens OK? How sad, embarrassing and abhorrent is it that only 28% of Americans know the real meaning of his holiday? So 72% have no clue?!!!!!!!!! We need to do something about that and it needs to start today!

As we remember our fallen heroes, our hearts go out to those who can never forget - the families they left behind. I know that there are people whose wounds are still fresh 1, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 years later. For those of us who have not lived it, it is hard to imagine what it must be like seeingÂwith shock and puzzlement and dreadÂa uniformed officer and a chaplain approach the front door, hearing them express the deep sorrow and gratitude of the United States, saying "We regret to inform youÂ" Do not think in terms of thousands of casualties, but think of it in terms of one. Because each casualty was someone's loved one. At the end of any war, the image of a jubilant country dancing and flag-waving in Times Square is vastly different from that of a parent or widow and her children who must face the rest of their lives without a son, husband and a father.

PLEASE take the time to explain to you families, children and friends what this day is about! Call a friend or the family of a Veteran who sacrificed to say, "Thank you...." The worst thing that I can imagine is for our country to take for granted and forget the sacrifices that have been made for our freedom. If that occurs then we donÂt deserve it anyway. To everyone on this forum that is a veteran, currently serving or anyone that has ever lost a family member in service of our country...please except my gratitude and/or heartfelt condolences. You have my most sincere and deepest respect!

"Last Monday in May"

By

John T. Bird

We pause to remember those who died

With so much courage, so much pride

TheyÂll never come back, yet memories endure

To remind us of freedom: fragile, pure

WeÂre worthy of their sacrifice if we pause each day

Not just on the last Monday in May

***climbing down off of my soapbox now***

Comments (4)

• hermitonthehill
    16 years ago

You know this is where I "have" to jump in and holler, "Go Navy!"

From what I saw/observed and experienced today, I'd say that at least 80% of that 72% associates Memorial Day with "the" weekend for garage sales, yard sales, and flea markets.

I'll say thank you to my Dad later in person (after it has cooled down/when I know he will feel a bit more "up" for company) and thanked my husband by just leaving him alone to do his own thing (and brought him home much-needed Dews) and otherwise spent the better part of the day with DD1 whom I think was in need of some one-on-one. I'm wore out from the heat and otherwise feeling rather disgusted with people in general for some of the things I witnessed today - things mainly related to live animals, but there was a cherry on top - a sour cherry - to really set me off that was - if you can believe it - related to Brugmansia. I hate sellers who prey upon the naivete or ignorance of people and then try lying to someone who is a bit more in the know... yea, plenty of folks out there "cashing in" today and this weekend on a "holiday" we have because of freedoms paid for in blood.

End of rant.

• intimidator_3
    16 years ago

BIG HUGE MEGA-DITTOS JEFF!

And Ill have to second Hermits "GO NAVY" as I am the son of a Navy veteran who served in Vietnam in 1968.

While Im at it Ill have to give props to the U.S. Army as well. My wifes brother, a 22 year veteran, is scheduled to leave for points east(Kuwait City) at the end of the month for a 1 year tour.

All of that FREEDOM you enjoy on a regular basis, please remember who you really owe that to next time you see a uniformed soldier!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ditto on the GO NAVY!

I spent the weekend with my nephew (actually my best friends youngest son but he calls me Uncle Jeff and I've been beside him since the day he was born) who was home from Coronado, CA where he is in BUD/S training. This soon-to-be Navy SEAL is one of 19 left out of a class of 200+ that started 13 weeks ago. You cannot fathom the physical, mental and emotion trials that these young KIDS are going through to serve our country. They weren't drafted, they WANT to be there! If I were to tell you about most of the stuff that they go through on a daily basis you would think that it is humanly impossible! Thesee young men, as all members of our military deserve our thanks, appreciation and respect for what they endure just to serve us and this country in an effort to keep this nation free. They are doing a job that has to be done and they have the courage and fortitude to step into the breach where many will not. I couldn't be more proud of anyone and my heart swells everytime I see Chris. Please keep our service personel in your prayers EVERY day. Without them we are doomed.

Look around your house at your family and posessions - appreciate them because you owe it all to the young men and women who have served! "The only ones who have willingly given their lives for you are Jesus Christ and the American Military".

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HEY JOE, WHERE ARE THE PICS?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting