Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

Ms. Cheap

bigorangevol
15 years ago

"By the way, I'm working on a column on plant swaps, so if you know of any coming up or have ideas for organizing a successful one, please let me know."

PLEASE DON'T SAY A WORD TO HER ABOUT THE MTPS!!!

I couldn't go thru another 400 day.

Comments (8)

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

You should send her that tip on organizing one. "Don't tell Ms. Cheap about it."

Yeah...I've got a mean streak.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

Hey, you guys should give her all your wisdom -- so she doesn't end up instigating another fiasco! Like tell her that one of the important principles of a plant swap is the concept of SWAPPING. She needs to know these things! You don't have to tell her the date or place of the next MTPS swap -- just the principles!

• msjacki
    15 years ago

I just hate getting picked last for kickball!!!

I'm dying to know what you all are talking about ....I wasnt at the plant swap, so I am clueless. BUT...I will be at the next one. Can I figure out the riddle there????

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

Hi Jacki,

Not a riddle, really. What we are referring to is the Spring Swap of 2006. Our swaps usually run from 75 to maybe 150 people max. That year Jeff, our beloved Swap nazi, got Ms. Cheap to run an article about us. Thinking we might get a few more people to attend.

The article ran with wording that made it sound like a free for all, and that's pretty much what we ended up with. It was next to impossible to get an accurate count, but I'm sure there were in excess of 400 people showed up that day. Many looking for free stuff with nothing to offer in return. And attitudes to match. And an appetite for the pot luck lunch. Which they also brought nothing to contribute to.

It wasn't a pretty sight and was a logistical nightmare for a lot of people. Thank God we were already holding that one outside of the cozy little campground we normally used.

Now to be fair, there were some people who paid attention to the "swap" part of the event's description and didn't fixate on the "free stuff" angle. Those people were welcomed back and several are now regular attendees.

Sorry you missed this Spring's swap (there are photos online in another thread, in case you missed that, plus the gallery for the "Swap of 400" is still out there if you're interested) but now's the time to start making plans for the Fall! The fall MTPS will be on Oct. 18th at Henry Horton State Park. information will be coming soon at the MTPS Website.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Zig, that sounded exactly like it came out of my mouth.
    How scary is that?

Jacki we'd love to have you attend the fall swap! We have three or four new first-timers that have contacted me about coming to the Fall MTPS already so go the the website, check it all out and then register. I promise you will have a blast at the MTPS!

Jeff

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

BTW, I like Mary Hance (Ms. Cheap) and she is a very nice person. We just had a breakdown in communication. I take full responsibility for that. I should have asked to proof the article before it ran. She felt as bad about what happened as we did. Ok, well maybe not AS bad but close. :-)

I didn't mean for it to loook like I was slamming Mary, I just didn't want a repeat of what happened two years ago.

Joe is correct, we have some really wonderful regular people that come now because of that article so it wasn't all bad.

• msjacki
    15 years ago

I plan on coming to the fall swap with musa basjoo in hand, elephant ears, daylilies and whatever else I have then. I'm propagating like mad now.

What about non-gardening items? Are they allowed? I make soaps (have a gardeners soap), and candles and just curious if those items would be allowed to trade if I dont have enough to offer for all that I want! I'm sure I'll have plenty but my propagation projects are always so "ify". ANYTHING can happen.

Thanks too for the inside info on Ms Cheap....I was just curious. I can only imagine how difficult that must have been. Seome people never cease to amaze me.......

Jacki

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jacki go to our website at http://www.midtnplantswap.com/ and register. While you are there read the thing from stem to stern to get a feel for what we do. All garden-related stuff is fair game at the MTSP. Soaps and candles are cool too. So is garden/yard art. It is all explained in the FAQ and What to Bring pages on the website. After you've gone through the website then feel free to email or call me with any other questions you may have.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery