Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maternut

Bananas

maternut
15 years ago

I have a banana that is blooming now, think maybe I can have ripe bananas this year? They have allways bloomed later in the summer for me, then the frost would get them.

Norm

Comments (17)

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

What kind of Naner is it?

We sure did miss you on Saturday. My baby girl missed her hug from Mrs. Barbara!

Rebecca

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Dang Norm! The ONLY time I had one bloom and set fruit they were only three inches long and the frost got 'em. That was in October!!!

How are you feeling? Shoot me an email.

• maternut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is one of the hardy bananas Jeff gave a few years ago at the plant swap. I think is was started from seed by Rob. Jeff correct me if I am wrong. Rebecca I bet your girl did not miss the hug as much as Barb. Soon as Joe post the pictures she will be crying.
    Norm

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

That's it! I don't think that Rob started them from seed though.

• oldschool_fp
    15 years ago

That is cool; didn't know they would grow at all here.

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

oldschool: These are musa bajoo (forgive my spelling if that's wrong) and they are hardy up to (I think) zone 4. They don't grow as big or as fast as their more tender cousins, but they do survive.

Planted the two I got from the swap just last night.

Good to hear from you Norm. Tell Barb to get her a box of tissues ready. I should have them posted this weekend.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Musa basjoo (correct spelling) is normally considered hardy (generally able to live and reproduce without special temperature related conditions) to around zone 8. It is evergreen in these conditions.

It is root hardy (generally able to come back as a deciduous perennial without significant protection) to around zone 6. It usually requires very good to excellent winter drainage in these lower temperatures.

With protection and under certain conditions it can be grown down to about zone 4. If you see Musa basjoo surviving the winters in zone 4, they will probably be in gardens of tropical fanatics that baby them. You might also be able to look around and find a palm in these same gardens.

• mlwgardener
    15 years ago

Hi Norm,

I had a long talk with Jeff this week and I was sorry to hear that you and Barb didn't get to go. I still haven't been to one in the last few years, but I STILL MISS all of you. Yeap, I had some tears when I saw Joes new pics of my red haired little girl. I fell in love the first time I saw her and still think of her often. I think my children get tired of me ordering a red haired grand daughter. So far, I have a white haired little boy and dark brown haired little girl. I do have another due in Nov, so just maybe???? Ain't grand children wonderful? I'm still new at this, my oldest being 22 months. Never, EVER, did I dream that this old woman's heart could be so over whelmed with love for such special little children. Can you tell that I'm bitten????

I lost all my bananas. I sure would like to get some starts. They are so beautiful. I have a bed that is full of canans, daylilies, elephant ears, yuccas(at the top of the slope) and Iris for early blooms. A banana would fit in good in this bed. I guess I'll just have to plan to come to the fall swap and maybe someone will have one for me.

Blessings to all, Mona

• farmerbell
    15 years ago

Mona, I will make sure you get a musa basjoo when you come to the fall swap. I have never met you, but have heard so many wonderful things about you and your part in starting MTPS. Plus I see your posts and daylily pictures on the Daylily Forum. I hope to see you October 18.

Ann

• toddman214
    15 years ago

Hi all. I'm new here, and reside in Smyrna, TN, just southeast of Nashville (zone 6b?). I've read all sorts of info about the musa basjoos, and haven't really seen what I'm looking for. The musas are supposed to reach 12 to 15 feet, but how can that possibly happen if they have to be cut down every year when the cold blackens the leaves and trunk? I've tried musas in the past, and after the first few freezes, the stumps became fibrous lumps of brown mush. Realistically, how can a musa basjoo reach full height in Tennessee? I'm certainly not going to dig it up every year and take it inside, and I'd rather not have to wrap all sorts of packing materials around the trunk just to try to get it to full height. Technically, these are perinnials, just like many flowers, so I just cant see how these can ever reach mature height here. Am I wrong about this?

Thanks all.

Todd

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

There are large banana clumps at UT -- and trust me, they get BIG every year. Them things grow fast! The folks at UT do NOT protect their clumps at all in the winter, though it is good to keep in mind that the UT gardens ARE in a warm microclimate.

Just a note to everyone -- Lowes seems to be carrying lots of young basjoos this year. I don't remember the exact price, but I think it was pretty reasonable.

• maternut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Todd I climed up a step ladder last year and measured mine it was 14 and a half feet tall. They grow very fast. After first good frost I cut them down to about knee high. No protection at all so far.
    Norm

• toddman214
    15 years ago

Thanks all. That makes me feel a bit better. I had a clump of three a few years ago, and they turned to black mush.

I just bought three more at Lowes, on sale for 5.00 each, so its not the money I'm worried about. I just really want these to work out.

So, Norm.....is the thickness that the trunk gets to, even when it dies back, directly related to how tall the tree will get each season?

• farmerbell
    15 years ago

Todd, I have seen some banana plants with a label of 'musa basjoo' that were definitely NOT musa basjoo. The ones I saw a couple of years at Lowe's with that label had leaves streaked with purple. Mine do not have purple streaks. If you have not planted yours yet and would like to return them and come get FREE pups from me, you are welcome to do so.

Ann

• farmerbell
    15 years ago

Todd, I live in Franklin.

Ann

• toddman214
    15 years ago

Hi Ann. Mine do not have purple on the leaves. If these dont work out, I'd like to take a look at yours.

Todd

• mcrooke37
    15 years ago

My basjoos do have purple under thier leaves when they emerge but it fades when the leaves get larger. I have had them in the ground for four years now without protection and they come back every year.