Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_2009

Sorry I missed it!

novice_2009
14 years ago

I know everybody is going to the plant swap. Wanted to make it- will definitely be there this fall, even if I don't have any plants to swap I just want to meet my fellow TN garderners! I know I could learn from you all so much , and talk to people who share my new found passion.

So, I have a question : Can I set out my tomato seedlings and do any veggie gardening period in my flooded, clay-soil? How are you guys handling it? Should I wait till the ground dries out or what? Completely clueless about this situation- ground has been saturated for days. Any tips?

Comments (7)

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Our neighbors son received a degree in Agriculture from UT. At that time our home in the country several years ago had parts of our yard totally clay. He told us "Clay soil is great for any plants long as you use layers of mulch, or straw to keep the soil from drying out". Working in lime or gypsum will also help loosen up the clay. We planted our flowers spinach, peppers, tomatoes, and put at least 3-4" inches of mulch around them and they grow great, just keep them watered in dry spells.I too have the wet soil now and can not plant anything. Just wait until we dry out some. Our rule of thumb is, take a hand full of soil, squeeze it, if it does not crumble in your hand, the soil is not ready for planting, clay would also crumble just larger pieces.

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks columbiastock. When I come to the swap this fall, what should I bring? What are people interested in? I may not have a lot of plants, but I can cook! In addition to bringing food, though, what kind of plants are being swapped in the fall? If anyone has any thoughts on this let me know so I'll be ready ahead of time. I'd like to know what I should bring (plants) and what kind of plants will I find? Thanks everybody!

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

I'm kind of curious too about what swaps well in the fall :) Bulbs? Seeds? Perennials?

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Hopefully, by then i'll have a ton of peppers, tomatoes, canned tomatoes, raspberry & blackberry jams, sauces, etc. to bring. Probably a good bit of seed too. It all depends on when the fall swap is...isn't it in October?

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

I covered both bases with my veggies. Some in the garden and some in pots. The beans I had planted earlier had popped up. Some had washed to the other side of the garden. I dug them and moved them back in place. At the fall swap, we trade everything. You will not see tomato plants but you might see tomato seeds as the seed can be started in early spring. Fall is a great time to dig, divide, or plant perrenials and trade seed or crafts harvested from the summer garden. I scored a jar of salsa at the spring swap. That is something that would be timely in the fall as well. Then you could always bring what ya got and find out what happens at the fall swap :) Rhonda

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

For those that weren't able to attend, those that bailed because of the weather and for those that chose not to attend for whatever reason...

YOU MISSED YET ANOTHER FANTASTIC MTPS!!!

Mark your calendars NOW for Saturday, October 17th.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    A very special thanks from me to:

My wonderful wife Lavonne who will be paying for helping me for at least a week. She's sick as a dog and has spent most of the last 33 hours in bed.

Billy Ring, who helped me out A LOT Friday and Saturday!!!

Rhonda Chilson, who may very well have saved my life, what's left of my sanity and most importantly...my marriage!

Tina and Curt Wideman, who gave us another in a string of excellent and informative lectures. I for one will be visiting Morning Glory Orchard during the Apple and Peach seasons. (June- November)

Everyone who braved the "impending bad weather" (cough, cough) which never appeared until the swap was over. You guys are true die-hard MTPS Troopers!

• burwoodbelle
    14 years ago

Jeff, Sorry to hear Lavonne is sick,you take care of that very special person in your life.
    As a second time swapper I enjoyed every minute of it and look foward to the fall swap. YALL take care,and a big thank you to you both.

PAT L.