Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyntn

Lilac

daisyntn
16 years ago

I am seeking help in how to start cuttings from a New England lilac bush; I think it is a Syringa vulgaris, also known as a zone Common Lilac that is located New London, CT, zone 6B. I would like to start a plant for my house in Blount County in eastern Tennessee, zone 7. The 55 year-old bush belongs to my mother who is getting older in years and may not remain in the house much longer. I am going to see her in late June and would like to bring the cuttings back with me, via airplane, and transplant in my yard. This bush has very special memories for me and I want to keep those memories alive. I remember my grandfather planting the trees when I was a little girl and smelling them all during my childhood. I also used to put my daughterÂs playpen underneath it in the summertime many years ago. Any ideas or help will be much appreciated. I do not know the process.

Comments (3)

• Soeur
    16 years ago

The most common way folks propagate lilacs as pass-along plants is to dig suckers with roots attached. Lilacs have a habit of sprouting from the roots around the mother plant, and these sprouts can be dug, preserving as many roots as possible and cutting the connection to the mother plant with sharp clippers. Water the night before so the babies are well hydrated. Stow them in a plastic bag with a bunch of barely damp paper towels in the bag -- don't wrap the plants or wet it down, as that will cause rot. Seal the bag and the ambient humidity given off by the plant and the barely damp towels will keep it fresh, as long as you keep it cool as possible. Once you have it home, pot up and tent with plastic to keep the humidity high around the plant and keep it in the shade -- no sun. Keep the soil moist and be patient.

If your lilac doesn't have suckers, try tip cuttings of semisoft wood. Semisoft is when the stems are just starting to firm up and aren't quite so green and juicy. Take cuttings about 6-8 inches in length and keep them in a sealed 1 gallon ziplock freezer bag with a barely damp towel. Keep cool until you get them home and can stick them into a mix of 1/2 soilless potting mix and 1/2 perlite. Before sticking make a fresh cut on the bottom of each stem and dip the juicy end in talc-based rooting hormone. A strength of .3% or .8% is better for woodies like lilacs than the .1% usually found at garden centers -- go to AM Leonard on line (amleo.com) to order if you need it. A common brand is Hormodin, which offers these formulations. Once your cuttings are stuck, treat as above for the suckers: plastic tent, absolutely no sun, keep moist but not sopping, patience.

Good luck!

Marty

• daisyntn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.

• atwork
    16 years ago

Another thing you might want to consider is how well the plant will do in our climate. Much of TN is now around zone 8a. This is pretty hot for this type of lilac. It likely will not preform as well here as it did in CT. Sorry about this possible bad news.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath