Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crepe Myrtle damage: was it the freeze or the timing?

Posted by behaviorkelton (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 07 at 20:32

So I can see that many of the crepe myrtles around Knoxville are pretty much frozen back to their roots.

Was this caused by the lateness of the freeze?...or was it caused by the "low-ness" of the temperature?

After a very warm February...with some plants showing signs of spring growth...we had a cold snap which got down to around 20 degrees.

From what I understand, most of crepe myrtles can handle this kind of low temp. So my theory is that it was the timing of the freeze that shook them to the ground.

I see some huge crepe myrtles that appear to be starting to put on fresh growth, but only from the base of their trunk.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crepe Myrtle damage: was it the freeze or the timing?

Hi,
I am in the Athens area....I planted two babies last year...sadly, they too are bare. I lost a lot of stuff but new leaves are coming back on everything but the myrtles...I hope they make it...that was dogwood and blackberry double whammy, eh!

o

Hi! I'm in Farragut, I didn't get to cutting the myrtles back this year and now see some new green shoots coming out! yeah I think they are back

o

I'm in the Holston Hills area of Knoxville.

So I have even more questions: Does a crepe myrtle that has been frozen back to the ground grow back faster than a crepe myrtle that you just planted?

Again, the old question is: Why did the crepe myrtles take the freeze so badly??? Was it that they were initiating their spring growth and "bam!" hit with freezing temps?

I can understand that it would kill off new growth, but did kill those beautiful trunks?

o

As I understand it, it was the timing of the freeze. We had tempartures much lower than the Easter Freeze this winter, and they myrtles came through with no problem, because they were dormant. But once it warmed up and they were really actively growing, the freeze zapped them. Interestingly enough, I have two that are the same variety, same age, and same exposure. One died back to the roots, and the other is re-leafing all over.

o

So I wonder if those older "dead" myrtles have truly lost their nice mature, woody trunks.

How long does it take a fast growing myrtle to establish such a nice trunk when it has to start all over from the ground?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here