Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottagegirl_tn

Comments, questions and suggestions re: next MTPS?

cottagegirl_tn
15 years ago

Hi all. This was my 2nd plant swap and of course I enjoyed it all the more. I have worn out my body getting all the plant children tucked in their "beds." Overall I had a very positive experience but feel a few things might be more streamlined? What do y'all think? Me and Kim (my coworker who also attended) thought the table identification could be less confusing. Like if I want to trade with someone it was hard to describe which table was mine so what about maybe giving everyone numbers to tape to their table so you could say, hey I'm at table #2 go check it out. It was hard to man our table and be able to browse too. Also....I tried really hard to do the right thing and not trade until 10:00, however a lot of people approached my table as soon as I started setting up at 8:30-9:00 and wanted to pre-trade and have me set back things for them. Is this ok? I know pre trades are legal online for special plants but this threw me off. I felt like the main trading had taken place long before 10:00. I don't want to rain on the day I just want to be fair. Just some observations I made.

Jennifer

Comments (8)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

I like the table ID idea. Attach one BIG sign to the table with either a number or the user name, and pin another BIG sign with the same info on the trader. Then it would be easier to find the table OR the person when needed!

As for early trading, I'm one of the worst miscreants there so I won't comment! ;-)

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

I agree with both ideas!

We have done the number thing in the past (I say we but it was actually Renee' who did it for me when I was laid up in the fall of Â06). I'll get something implemented in that area for the fall swap. I already know that DougÂs gonna want to reserve #3 and IÂll take The King #43 or the #88 Navy. Just as long as I donÂt have "Kick me" on my back.

I was just on the phone with Mona for the last hour and a half (Virginia she may want to ride with you in the fall!) and we discussed starting at 9:00 rather than 10:00 which we both agree is far better because we have more time to swap. But that means that everyone is going to have to get to the MTPS at 8:00 so you can be set up and ready to rock at 9:00. The whole reason behind waiting until 10:00 was because we couldn't get everyone in that early and set up. So if ya'll promise to get there earlier then we will start swapping earlier.

IÂm toying with an idea about pre-swaps on our site but I want to run it by Bec first. This is something that we may test run on the MTPS website rather than the "Exchange" page on GW since nobody ever goes to the "blue" page. Stay tuned for more info.

Hopefully Joe will have the pictures up and ready soon so we can share our wonderful Saturday with everyone else. IÂve sent Rebecca in excess of 85 pictures in the last two days to post on our Pictures Page so as soon as she has the time to put them up you guys are going to be in for a real treat. IÂve gone through three years/six swaps of 1,000 photos and picked out about 9% of those to add to the website. Dang IÂve picked up a lot of weight in four years!!! It was great looking at some of those old shots of you guys. Nobody ever thanks Joe for all his hard work at the swap! YaÂll he never gets to do any swapping or much socializing because heÂs either busy helping me or shooting all those wonderful pictures. So donÂt forget the Zigmeister when youÂre patting folks on the back for doing a great job at the MTPS because he works his tail off!!!

BTW, Jan and Mona both have passed on their love and expressed how much they miss all you guys.

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions or criticisms regarding the MTPS please feel free to email me anytime.

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

Why Jeff! I didn't know you cared! *grin*

Thanks, but I don't do it for the kudos. It's just the way I am. And for sure don't think I don't enjoy myself. I get all the swapping I need to do done. Cathy has pretty much taken over that part except to ask me about something we brought or if I think we have a place for something. We are still planting things from Saturday.

So the pictures may not be ready until this weekend.

I do have one suggestion. We desperately need to "tighten up the ranks" next time. Everyone wanted a picnic table and things got spread out way too soon. If we could at least have two parties sharing a table (for eating lunch) with our own tables, tarps, etc. in between, then that would help a lot. Not only would it cut down the walking, it would increase the chance of being near your own table when someone wanted to trade.

And as bad as I hate to suggest it, having another row a little ways out wouldn't hurt either. That does mean that some people would be out of the shade sooner. However, I think many would have been ok with that this past Saturday morning. Brrrr.....

Would it be possible to go the evening before and markoff a defined area with some colored tape or something? Then as people straggle in once the first line is full a second line would almost naturally form.

Although one hitch with this plan is that the second row doesn't have a readily defined "behind the table" area for plants you are keeping.

• dlhl
    15 years ago

I think it would work if the two table rows were facing each other with plenty of room left for the swappers to walk down the middle between the two rows. The table "fronts" could be marked with the number signs. Then the "keeper" plants could then be placed out of the way behind the tables. Does that make sense? The numbers could be posted after everyone sets up so they would be in order and easier to locate. Just my two cents.

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Well since we aren't paying customers (no shelter) we can't mark off a space the night before because our area is first-come-first-served (another reason to get there as early as possible). We can probably mark it off that morning though. I already went down that road with Ranger Randy last fall. I'll run it by him again since he now has a feel for what we do and how many folks to expect. (BTW, thanks to those who gave his wife and Karen Moore some freebies!)

I'll also ask that he doesn't lock the dang bathrooms until 4:00-4:30 instead of 3:00.

I knew the picnic table thing was going to be an issue too; I'm just surprised that everybody didn't spread out 300 yards up and down the river. :-) In the fall we may not have anyone that wants to be under the shade anyway.

I'm cool with the double-row thing and yes facing each other is the obvious way to go there.

Hey this was our first time at HHSP and I knew we'd have a few things to work out so this is great! I'll address all this stuff and get it fixed so we can make everyoneÂs experience even more enjoyable!

DonÂt forget to spread the word to your friends, neighbors, co-workers, customers and church congregations about the MTPS and especially GardenWeb! Bec and I were noticing that without the swap dialogue on here the normal chatter has dwindled significantly in the last several years. LetÂs do our best to pump some new life into this puppy; it would be to our benefit as well as theirs. I tell ALL of my customers about GW and the MTPS. Shoot, I tell everybody I meet about GW and the MTPS. If weÂre at Costco, SamÂs, Lowes, H.D. or anywhere for that matter IÂm spreading the word!

• tly59
    15 years ago

Hi everyone -

This was my second swap and I loved the location!
    I am reading many good ideas for improvements going on - Another idea I will throw out - personally, I have a pop-up shade-tent we use at the beach that would work great for a second row of swap tables - maybe others have these and could bring them.

Teena

• andi956
    15 years ago

Hi all,

As a first timer, I thought it was great, but I have no frame of reference. I do have bad ankles due to an injury and felt the walking by the end of the day, but it was ok. For others, that may be too much. If we sit closer to one another (1 ft max) we can fit more people in the same space. Plus, you can be more neighborly. :-)

For two rows, I have one of those beach canopy things that's a bit of a bear to put together but I could bring it next spring if someone can help me put it together. Others could do the same to ensure folks & their plants don't bake in the sun. I'd think this would be less of an issue in the fall.

Also, I hadn't realized about no early swapping. I went to put some food on the table and went ga-ga at all the plant bounty and people started offering me stuff! (Heaven) So, I sort of thought that's what was supposed to happen. Sorry about that!

As a solo person to the event it would be hard to swap without that time since I can't be at my table and looking at other tables. So, in a way the early stuff was helpful to me. But, of course, whatever the protocol is...

Again, I thought it went smoothly and folks were super helpful. I loved learning more and seeing photos of other people's gardens.

BTW, I wanted to send a donation check to help cover plates, napkins, and other expenses. Who do I send it to and where?

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Andi don't worry about the "early" swapping; I won't tell on you to myself.

It is difficult when you are solo! It's best to bring a spouse or friend.

We are so happy that you had a great time! That's what it's all about.

Don't worry about sending me a check either; you can hit the donation jar at the fall MTPS.

Jeff

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations