Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Elephant Garlic I got at swap

Posted by tn_veggie_gardner 6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 17, 09 at 21:41

I read a good bit about the Elephant Garlic here on GardenWeb in Alliums forum. My question is this: I put it in a good size pot (about 24 inch diameter x 16-20 inches tall). There are 7 "bulbs" of it. Why is it already yellowing? I watered it slightly & it got some sun today. Is there anything else I need to do or is this just transplant shock and it will green back up in a few days? Please let me know. Thanks! - Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Elephant Garlic I got at swap

Photobucket

o

Steve call me this week and I'll hook you up with a biggun! I'm talking 5' tall.

o

Awesome...will do...thanks! =)

o

Ours limped along last year after we got them at the spring swap. This year they are coming along right nicely. Then too, we put ours in the ground.

o

Steve because of being dug and transplanted the garlic will not do anything this year, set aside til next year when it will, go ahead and cut tops off now. Glenda

o

Ok, thanks Glenda. =) Will do when I get home...how do I need to store it until its Fall planting?

o

You don't necessarily have to store it - you can leave it in the pot, but like Glenda said,it won't do anything and may appear to die back completely. Don't panic, though -- Garlic goes dormant after blooming and such - then it will show back up in the early spring next year. In fact, mine started putting out leaves in February I think. It just likes cool weather.

o

Ok, great...i'll just leave it be in that pot then. Can I put it in a less sunny spot for "storage" or does it still need an almost full sun spot? I have limited space and could fit another tomato plant or more in the room it's using now.

Thanks - Steve

o

Don't let the dirt in the pot freeze! I keep ours in the ground year-round and mulch/compost over it in the Fall.

o

Ok...i'll probably just leave it in a mostly shady spot for now (cuz I only have so much sun room & other things can go there) & i'll toss a new layer of something on it before bringing it inside for the 2-3 months of freezing temps in Winter.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, May 19, 09 at 10:50

Leave it in a sunny location until the foliage is no longer green. There's still some green in your picture.

After that, no light at all is needed. So even complete shade is fine.

I wonder if you want have a problem if you bring the pot inside. Warm temps are going to cause the bulbs to resprout. Is there no way to bury the pot outside somewhere?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here