Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vol Bananas

Posted by ladybug37091 z7 Tennessee (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 21:48

Thank you Jeff, for the banana trees I so proudly brought home from you a few years back. They are one of my favorite features in the landscape. I will never forget how exciting it was to have bananas hanging off the back of the truck and you just gave them to me! I figure you populated at least half of Tennessee and the surrounding states with these tropical beauties. I have seen your generousity year after year with lots of different stuff. I just wanted you to know how much I still enjoy them. Rhonda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vol Bananas

You're more than welcome. I'm happy that you get some enjoyment out of 'em!

Here's the backstory:
I brought about four or five to the first or second swap that we went to. Rob Ogletree (aka MountainGrown) brought them to us all the way from Livingston because he couldn't make it to the swap but he had promised several to folks on GW. He brought us one or two. By the end of the Summer we had at least 8-9. The next Spring we had over a dozen!!! So I loaded up the truck that Fall with 8-10 and brought them. We still had several and they multiplied so I split 'em up again and gave out probably a dozen more.

Now we only have one and it hasn't done squat in two years. That's my fault because when I transplanted it I didn't dig the hole wide or deep enough and the ground around it is hard as a rock with tree roots running through it. This Summer I'm going to dig it out and replant that sucker.

That's what the MTPS is all about anyway. Rob drives two hours just to deliver plants for us to take to the swap for him and doesn't ask for anything in return. We have given Musa's to at least 15-20 different people and those people have split theirs with others and so on and so forth. Rob may very well be the prime initiator of spreading free Musa's all over the entire state of Tennessee!

Robert from Bon Aqua called me today. He's such a kind and wonderful guy! Anyway he said that those Musa naners taste GREAT if you pick 'em when they're green and let them ripen. Who knew?

o

Wow, I didn't know any fruiting kinds grew here. Do you know the name of them?

o

Musa Bajoo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here