Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tn_veggie_gardner

Visit to the beautiful Belmont Gardens

tn_veggie_gardner
14 years ago

My daughter Emily had her dance class recital practice earlier this afternoon at a theatre on the Belmont campus. We were lucky enough afterwards (mainly hanging out to avoid rush hour...lol) to be able to walk around campus. They have soooo many beautiful statues, rose gardens, fountains, etc...and to think, we only saw a small piece of it! Here are some pics I took while we were there. I took them with my phone, so they might not be awesome quality, but they're not blurry. =)

I have no idea what this is, but I like it!

{{gwi:2145}}

Beautiful.

Peace - Steve

Comments (5)

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Steve, is that not the most beautiful campus ever?!?! :D I love it too. We did a photo shoot for Nashville Chamber there a few years ago, at the fountain. It was just breathtaking. Oddly, not five minutes ago someone was in my office and we were talking about that picture. Then I come here, and there is the fountain!

That first picture is Lamb's Ear, I believe. Spreads like crazy, but fuzzy-fun if you have the room!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Connie: Yes, it is! =) I consciously must admit that when I noticed that Rose garden and went over there, seeing that each Rose bush had 40-50+ blooms (just open ones!) on them, I may have "grabbed some cuttings" from two of them ;-) I just hope they grow...lol...any tips to help me with my mischief? They're sitting in Asprin water on my porch right now and looked a lot better this morning (after 3 hours sitting in the truck).

- Steve

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Steve, I am thinking of experimenting with rooting things too! I just bought some Root Tone powder at lunch! I have never done this before, so I am no help to you.

I am going to try to root willow cuttings, which should be pretty easy according to what I'm reading. I have some Nishiki Willows I'd like to bring to the fall swap.

I think you should get some Root Tone powder and try it. :) I don't know if your roses had been sitting out too long, though...I think it is best to have them in their medium pretty quickly after cutting. But hey, what the heck, you never know! And if you have the powder you'll be ready for next time. :)

• april_h_o April Moore
    14 years ago

The way I've found that works best for rooting rose cuttings is to put them in a pot with good soil and some rooting compound on them and then put the top off a 2-liter coke bottle over them (sort of like a cheap terrarium). You put this in a spot that doesn't get direct sun, keep it moist (but not wet) and usually, in about a month, you'll see new leaves.

It helps to leave three buds below the surface of the soil -these will convert from leaf buds to roots. Generally, though, roses won't root in water, as is true of most woody-stemmed plants.

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

The best way to root roses is to bend over a cane and pile some dirt and a rock on it. Layering.

Hard to do that in someone else's garden though. *grin*

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner