Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hooked_on_lights

mushroom compost problem

hooked_on_lights
13 years ago

I recently bought some mushroom compost from a dealer here in Cookeville...something I will NEVER do again...the compost, not the dealer. I mixed it bagged topsoil and used it in two different projects and now have the same problem in both areas.

There are two different kinds of mushrooms coming up. One has a top about the size of a dime and is not a problem. However, the other has a very slender stem with a tiny top that seems to immediately be covered with a black gooey substance that transfers to the other plants and is killing them. The nursery thought a fungicide would work and seems to help, but new ones come up every night. The bigger problem is that one of the projects was 530 individual mini vinca plants. I drilled about a three inch hole in the clay, filled it with this mixture and now every morning I'm faced with checking each plant and removing the mushrooms with the black gooey substance on them.

I've started the very laborious task of digging each plant up, getting my mixture off the plant's roots and out of the hole and replanting in something different. Are there any suggestions as to something that will kill the mushroom fungus without killing my other plants?

Thanks for any help.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner