Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mushroom compost problem

Posted by hooked_on_lights Tennessee (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 22:49

I recently bought some mushroom compost from a dealer here in Cookeville...something I will NEVER do again...the compost, not the dealer. I mixed it bagged topsoil and used it in two different projects and now have the same problem in both areas.
There are two different kinds of mushrooms coming up. One has a top about the size of a dime and is not a problem. However, the other has a very slender stem with a tiny top that seems to immediately be covered with a black gooey substance that transfers to the other plants and is killing them. The nursery thought a fungicide would work and seems to help, but new ones come up every night. The bigger problem is that one of the projects was 530 individual mini vinca plants. I drilled about a three inch hole in the clay, filled it with this mixture and now every morning I'm faced with checking each plant and removing the mushrooms with the black gooey substance on them.
I've started the very laborious task of digging each plant up, getting my mixture off the plant's roots and out of the hole and replanting in something different. Are there any suggestions as to something that will kill the mushroom fungus without killing my other plants?
Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mushroom compost problem

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sun, May 30, 10 at 22:18

Sorry I can't offer much help. Most mushrooms are harmless to plants, but certainly not all (some of the Armillarias come to mind). Any chance of pictures? Also, keep us updated if you can.

If you can provide samples and enough info, you might get some suggestions from the local ag extension office.

Here is a link that might be useful: Putnam County Ag Extension Office

o
RE: mushroom compost problem

Here is a picture of the problem mushrooms.
mushroom problemYesterday I tried an experiment. I went through about 70 of the mini vinca plantings and either dug up and replaced the soil if the plant was in bad shape, or simply took about a half inch of soil off the top of any plants that showed new growth and otherwise looked ok. I marked those that used the second method and none of them had the mushrooms this morning, although with the weather conditions last night, there was not a lot of mushroom activity this morning, so at this point my experiment is inconclusive.
My theory here is this:
When I orginally planted, I drilled a hole in the clay that was about three inches wide, put some of a half topsoil/half mushroom compost mixture in the bottom. Holding the plant and root system upright, I added more of my mixture around the sides and then a layer of the mixture on top surrounding the plant. This is what I took off yesterday. My theory is that I have taken the concentrated area at the top. Yes, there is still some around the edge of the roots and underneath, but I eliminated a good portion of it without having to dig everything up and replant. I will know better in a couple of days.
I still would like to know if anyone has any ideas to kill the mushroom spores/fungus without killing my plants.
Thanks for any help,
Cliff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here