Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Needle palm question

Posted by myrtleoak z7 TN (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 07 at 23:46

Am I the only one that has a slow growing needle? When I got mine it was just a pup from Plant Delights 4 years ago. I am only now starting to see a noticable increase in size. How many years to a decent sized specimen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Needle palm question

Hello, Myrtle!
I'd say it depends on how you're growing it. If you have it in full mid day sun it will probably always be compact and dense. If it has mid day shade it will grow taller and pup less so it will put more energy into growing up vs. out. I'd say give another 4 or 5 years they do start to pick up mass a bit more quickly as they age. Also, if it's in a sheltered warm spot like against a wall etc. it will grow a bit faster. I forgot and left one in my greenhouse over the summer last year. It probably grew 4 or 5 inches and it developed palmate leaves. The other one I forgot became a crispy critter so.....
Anyway good luck fellow tn palm grower.
:)
Chris

o
RE: Needle palm question

I cant tell you how long its been there, but if you want to see probably the biggest Needle in Tennessee, then you should go to Tanager Ln. in west Knoxville. This was the residence of the late Dr. Frank Galyon who recently passed away. At the entrance to his driveway, which is at the end of this cul-de-sac, you will find around a 8 ft tall speciman. Its awesome to see something like that in Tennessee.

Doug

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here