Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solarization method for garden

Posted by lhendri479 7 Western NC (lhendri479@aol.com) on
Tue, Jun 16, 09 at 3:05

If you want a new garden spot, here is a good method without any of the back breaking labor. Get clear construction plastic and lay it out where you need it. Anchor it down with bricks, etc.

Now the easy part - let the sun do the work and actually cook the grass, weeds, etc. It will also kill all the weed seed down to about 1 foot.

How long does it take - as long as necessary.

It works - do a search for solarization

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solarization method for garden

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 16, 09 at 16:10

I usually prefer the Roundup method. It's much quicker, more environmentally friendly (than buying huge sheets of plastic), and soooo much easier.

Solarization does have it's place (where certain soil-borne pathogens are present, for instance), but, for me, it's not my first choice for a new garden spot. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I'm just saying that there are other options.

o

But isn't Roundup a chemical?

o

Nana26 - thanks for saying that. And roundup does not kill the weed seeds. When you turn the soil over - oh, oh, here come the weeds growing from those little weed seeds!!

And as far as environmentally friendly goes - I use the same plastic that I used for solarizing for lots of other things too (drop cloth, etc) Just hose it off after using on the garden and hang it up to dry. There ya go - it keeps forever.

Linda In NC

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 20, 09 at 11:33

Nana,

Chemicals are not bad just because they are chemicals! Even most food contains lots of chemicals. You use lots of different chemicals every day! Roundup is a very safe chemical compared to almost any other chemical you would be likely to use in your garden or landscape. When it hits soil or even dirty water, it quickly degrades into an environmentally safe state. In fact, there is usually an increase in microbes in soils shortly after being treated with glyphosate. Oh, that reminds me, solarization kills out a lot of the microbes in the soil, and that's one of its disadvantages. Plants need microbes to live and so the soil is less productive until the good microbes are reestablished.

Oh, and as for weed seeds, they are dispersed by wind, birds, and other means, so they come back in short order anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here