Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniemcghee

I hate black walnut trees

conniemcghee
14 years ago

Specifically, I hate the one in my front yard.

I saw yesterday that it has already started to drop nuts. Good grief! This will go on until November. That's six months!

It drops nuts on your head. It drops nuts in your garden. They release a toxic (to some plants) chemical into the soil as they decompose, so you better pick them up. They are all over that side of the yard in October, and it is exhausting trying to keep up. Some days I would pick them up for half an hour, and the next day, it would drop another half-hours' worth.

I don't even like black walnuts, and neither does anyone I know.

To top it off, it is one of the last trees to leaf out in the spring. Even our oak tree had its leaves before the black walnut. And it is one of the first to lose them in the fall.

I want this tree gone so bad I can't tell you. There are so many other nicer trees I can think of that could take its place. I need the sun it's blocking for my perennial garden.

Anyone else have a black walnut? Am I way off base here? :)

Comments (12)

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Yes, they are not the most attractive trees, and can cause damage when the nuts fall, but they are worth so much when it comes to baking or cooking. I love the English Walnuts better, but when I do taste a black walnut used in candy, cake or ice cream, it is wonderful. I will have to search more on recipes using the Black Walnut. Most people I know that have them, place the nuts in their drive ways and run over them several times to even began to get to the nut inside.

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Consider bringing them to the Fall Swap, I would love to swap for some. "Thinking of a Jam Cake with a few in it"! They also freeze well in a freezer.

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmm, I hadn't thought of bringing them to the swap. GREAT idea! :D I will be able to load every one of you up. Seriously. This is one nut-producing tree.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    8 years ago

The bad news (for me and probably most nature loving people) and the good news, maybe, (for some of you in this thread) is that most black walnuts will be gone from this area in a few years. Thousand cankers disease is here and is expected to devastate the black walnut population.

I love my black walnut trees and love the nuts, but I dread all of mine dying off over the next few years.

• dpeters
    8 years ago

Brandon, we're in NE & not aware of this disease. After dealing w/ these trees for 30 years, it gets tiring. So done, ready for someone else to deal w/ them. If only they didn't produce walnuts.....

• ryseryse_2004
    8 years ago

We left our 58 acres of black walnuts and moved here to TN in January. Before we moved, we sold 80 of those Black Walnut trees for $38,000 which bought us a new kitchen, a camper and other great things here in our new home. So, I have nothing against Black Walnuts!

• cboak
    8 years ago

UGH...Black Walnut Trees...UGH!

We have one skinny one in our backyard that I can tolerate. Then we have 4 between my house and my neighbors. These things are so dangerous! 1st just trying to walk in the yard is like walking across marbles, 2nd anytime your under them and the slightest wind or animal and you get scared a walnut is going to fall on your head and knock you out, 3rd when you mow it's like fast pitch baseball, 4th if your driveway is under one you can't park there due to the damage they will cause as well as it sounding like a gun shoot or a tire busting when you drive over one. Between my neighbor and I, we could give you a mile long list why we very much with these were not here!

The ones this year here in Middle TN are HUGE. Some have been close to the size of a baseball. I've got 3 daughters and these things scare the mess out of me. My girls can not play any where around those trees due to the harm they can cause!

Sorry, had to put the book of my 2 sense in and vent some

Happy Fall!

• rgreen48
    8 years ago

I'd absolutely love them. They are fantastic for baking.

• Matthew 8b-Mojave Desert
    7 years ago

Got 3 on a wholesale buy. 15 gal pots. Strategizing where to place them, taking into consideration the nuts and the toxins. Originally I thought the nuts would be fodder for our goats, then learned they "can" be toxic to horses and livestock. Can goats eat the nuts or parts of the tree?.

• MrsKris Kay
    last year

Why do you need a walnut tree for baking, just go to a good store and buy them! I feel the same as Connie M. I'm so sick of my neighbor's walnut tree. I'm surprised no one mentioned the fact that they attract rats 🐀!!! They either live in the trees or envade your yard to eat the fallen nuts. When it rains, the tree leaves secret oils that heavily stain concrete and leaves a black soot on surrounding plants. In addition, A LOT of people are seriously allergic to nuts (including me). When they are not dropping THOUSANDS of leaves or nuts, they drop these wormy-looking things all over the yard. When the leaves come out for spring, allergies 🤧 are ridiculous. They are aggressive in height and grow branches that touch the ground; basically takes over the yard...and

everyone's yard it's next too. Expensive to have it trimmed ($300 for just my side) neighbor only trims the part that touces his patio and leaves the rest for his other three neighbors to deal with. I had to pay $220 to have my concrete powerwashed! And yes, i have asked the neighbors 5 times to trim the tree but no resolve. The tree is a nuisance! It provides shade, but I'd rather install a Pergola than to deal with the overload of cons!!!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    last year

I absolutely LOVE my black walnut trees. They've never caused me one bit of trouble, they're beautiful, and they produce delicious tasting nuts. Fortunately, thousand cankers disease still doesn't seem to be a big problem in Tennessee. It was first reported here quite a few years ago, but (knock on wood) doesn't seem to have spread here very much.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery