Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tngreenthumb

So who has cicadas?

tngreenthumb
15 years ago

So far I haven't noticed any. Not just at our place but anywhere I have been. There is supposed to be a brood swarming this year, and I have heard a few people talk about them, but so far nothing around me.

Anyone being bugged?

(I hear they make great fish bait if you gather them as they swarm and freeze them until after they gone away again.)

Comments (28)

• columbiastock
    15 years ago

Have none here yet, but wondering if they will come. And yes they are good fish bait. If you have inside or outside dogs, beware they love to eat them, and they give them very loose bowels, like when we eat our poke, LOL.

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Email on the way to ya Zig!

• april_h_o April Moore
    15 years ago

I don't seem to have any in Madison, but there were tons of them around Joelton when I went up there a few weeks ago. Maybe the hatch was only a few locales this year?

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

None here in Knox Co. Heard they are down in Blount Co.

Rebecca

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

Not in my end of Grainger County (near the Knox county line) but heard from a friend that they are heavy up north of Clinch Mountain at the other end of the county.

• TnShadyLady
    15 years ago

While driving on I40 two weeks ago, the cicadas were so loud that I could hear them in the car(with the radio on)around the Cookeville and Crossville areas. I turned off the radio and rolled the window down and I have to say, I have never heard as many as I did then. It was mindblowing how loud they were!!

But no sign of them at my house in Knoxville.

• msbatt
    15 years ago

"...dogs love to eat them."

Great---just GREAT! Sadie didn't get the Potato-bug Chutney runs this spring, so NOW we're facing the Cicada Chow-chow trots???

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

I finally had one outside last night that I played with for a few minutes but that's it.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

I'm listening to a cicada right now, but we didn't get any of the 17 year swarm.

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

I can hear them in the stand of trees behind my next-door neighbors house...

Time to spray everything down with Sevin again!!!

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Still nothing out where I am. Too early yet for the yearly ones, but I expected the 17 year swarm by now.

Could I be so lucky?

• bzbfnp
    15 years ago

We have them here in Chattanooga. Several shells have been discovered in my flower garden and the exit tunnels they had burrowed to leave the ground. Yep, it's pretty disgusting.

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

Nothing in Nashville at all. I am SO glad. I was going to have to become an inside-only girl - I can't stand when those things fly at you and get stuck in your hair! Eeee!

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got June bugs (which ALWAYS come out in July) out the wazoo. Still no sign of cicadas. Seen some exit tunnels but lots of things make those. The June bugs for instance.

The Japanese beetles haven't seemed as numerous this year either.

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

June bugs. That's what I grew up calling them. Never heard the term Japanese beetle until I started gardening.

I have seen a few cicada shells around and have been hearing them. I welcome the buzzing sounds to drown out the constant screaming kids up the road and my neighbor's loud A/C unit. Anyone want to buy my house? :)

Rebecca

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

June bugs are the brown guys, Japanese beetles are the metallic green/bronze guys. :-)

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Yep, we called the green guys june bugs too.

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

June bugs are just like Japanese beetles only bigger. And they eat far less.

Japanese Beetle

June Bug (I think)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Just like with plants, animals also can only really be properly specified with the correct scientific name. Common names really don't mean much unless both parties happen to be in agreement about what they want to call whatever they are talking about. That said, here are some common names for some of the creatures mentioned so far:

Cicadidae (the most commonly encountered Cicada family with over 2,500 species) = Cicada (a common version of the proper name, at least in the case of the Cicadidae family), Locusts (although not related to many of the insects more commonly referred to locusts), Jar Fly

Popillia japonica = Japanese Beetle, Jitterbug

Phyllophaga (a genus with over 800 species according to some sources) = June Bug, June Beetle, May Beetle, Scarab Beetle

Cotinis nitida = Green June Beetle, June Bug (Wikipedia says this name applied to this species is a misnomer for whatever the heck that's worth.)

• abbeyrose
    15 years ago

Was down to close on our property in Lawrence Co. just recently and heard one singing in the trees above as we were unloading the truck. Love to hear their music.

Bonnie

• tennandy
    15 years ago

so if/when they do come will they decimate my tomatoes?or are they more picky

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Heard my first "dry fly" Saturday afternoon. (Theres a new one for you brandon.) That's what we always called the big green yearly cicadas. Also found a husk shortly thereafter.

Those are a true "sound of summer" to me. Wouldn't be right without them. (And many horror movies would have to find a new sound.)

I DO have some of the biggest katydids I've seen in a LOOONG time. Close to three inches long, inch and a half tall (excluding the legs) and nearly and inch thick! They can get LOUD.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

Speaking of 800 species of Phyllophaga.....I found a "June bug" body in the house the other day -- larger than regular June bugs, with three tiny black spots along either side of its wing covers. Gotta look that one up!

• tndandelion
    15 years ago

I've not seen any but I've certainly heard them. I love the sound they make. Better than listening to traffic or someone's blaring radio.

• fernzilla
    15 years ago

I live in Memphis, and have been hearing the Cicadas all over. I see these big holes in my garden every year,and assume they are from the Cicadas. I thought those guys only came out every certain number of years, but we always have them.
    Ditto on the huge Katydids, I have seen several in the last few days. I wonder if that is what has been nibbling on my Azaleas. I have never had anything nibble Azaleas before.

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

fernzilla: There are different species of cicadas. The big green ones emerge every year. The smaller, usually yellowish ones with red eyes are the ones thast have a longer cycle. Plus there are several "broods" so that the emergence of a brood happens every few years rather than a full 17 year cycle.

• tngarden_jorhill
    15 years ago

Lots of cicadas here in Putnam County. So loud in the trees night before last I considered getting out my camera to record a short video of the noise. Definitely summer-time in the south. Oh, also LOTS of Junebugs.

• amyree1982_gmail_com
    12 years ago

in Dunlap.. sequatchie county... just moved here from FL and have never seen a cicada... posted a picture of one on facebook tonight askiing if anyone knew what this green bug is.. we have a ton of them around our house... and have for a couple of months.. I did not know what the noise was until I saw one up close and heard its clicking noise... soooo loud

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus