Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dvtown

Tree Topping

Dave Townsend
14 years ago

I went to West TN this weekend to visit my wife's grandmother and attend a wedding in Collierville. We went to her grandmother's house and saw a formerly stately oak tree decimated. They even asked me my opinion on it last year and I said not to. You can see the result in the link below. I wish they had called in an arborist!

Here is a link that might be useful: A Topped Oak Tree

Comments (8)

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

I'd just take it down Dave. It's too big of a tree to be that close to the house anyway. A one ton or half ton limb wins the battle against 5/8 decking, 2x8 rafters and 2x6 ceiling joists every time! Even a 6" diameter limb can easily do up to $10K in property damage.

I worked catastrophe duty in Mempho and Jackson six years ago and saw the decimation that an Oak can do to a home and property. One loss was a turn-of-the-century million dollar home in Chickasaw Gardens that was totaled; three stories were split in half right down the middle. I had two losses where children barely escaped being killed in their beds (literally within inches) and those were large homes in Germantown!!!

No tree is worth a life or the destruction of your home and belongings. A Dogwood, Redbud, Cherry or Pear tree would be prettier and you don't take the risk of damage to yourself, your family or your home. I'd be cranking the chainsaw this morning.

• Dave Townsend
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My thought was the same but don't top the tree. It really doesn't do any good and the end result will most likely be the same...taking the tree down. The tree was planted long ago way too close to the house too bad since it was such a nice tree!

• gusolie
    14 years ago

That's sickening.

It's about time the general public needs to realize that horticulture is not an "idiot's profession", and everyone with a landscaper's business license must have certification.

Illegal immigrants only follow what the arrogant, "got a mower and a truck" landscaper company owner tells them to do. THat's another issue...

• maemae0312
    14 years ago

Yes it is sickening, but I agree, you must think about safety for the home and the people in it. One way to end that problem would be to know where to put your tree in the first place. But then again what came first the house or the tree?

Mary

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

then ... One way to end that problem would be to know where to put your house in the first place. (-:

• transplanted_in_tn
    14 years ago

I like the tree better in it's original form, but the shaggy remains are kind of neat looking. :) Looks like one of those exotic tropicals you'd see in the jungle. :)

But yes, lots of trimming will be in order soon, and often. ;)

-John

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Looks more like an eyesore to me.

• Dave Townsend
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Definitely an eyesore now. Right plant right spot as the saying goes but not in this case. The house is older than the tree, but I don't know how much. Still pruning out the branches that were dangerous would have proven wiser. Now all the new branches will be weak and not just a few. The tree will try to overcompensate for what it lost. I'm guess it only has another 4-6 years left for the tree.