Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geneo74

Time to get Technical

geneo74
14 years ago

Is there anyone out there that is technical & smart enough to track the brand name of hose sprayers ( the kind that do what they suppose to do, full, center, jet spray) for more than one year? Believe I have gone through dozens without finding a good one. Have bought expensive ones & cheap ones. Not much difference. Don't like em at all or one year is the best. If you have found a good brand with its cost maybe I can put it in my budget for next spring. By the way, where is everyone at? Get in where it is cool.

Comments (10)

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

KMart/Target/Lowes/HD have 5 1/2" Fireman's nozzles that I like and they also have a simple adjustable 4" brass one that's small and cheap. I don't buy trigger/pistol sprayers because they're all crap. The important thing to remember is to make sure that you have good rubber washers/gaskets (pack of 10 for $2) and replace them every year. I won't spend over $7 for any of them! Simple is always best.

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

By the way, I've had mine for 8 years without having any problems and I use them constantly.

Don't skimp on cheap hoses either; get the 3/4" soft hose!!!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Geneo, I'm with ya! The brass nozzle types don't give me the options I want, but, like you said, the other types don't last more than a year. I spent about an hour just a few weeks ago searching the internet for one of these that would last. Price was really not a huge concern. Nothing, absolutely nothing.....

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    14 years ago

I have a metal wand adjustable sprayer that I like alot. You just reminded me, though, that I never have dug it out after moving last summer! I'll have to see if I can still find it!

It's from Walmart, nothing fancy, but it has been reliable and durable for me.

And Jeff, I'm with ya -- don't skimp on hoses! I haven't tried special "soft" ones, but I don't buy cheap hose!

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

No real help on the sprayers, but Sam's carries a really nice hose during the spring and summer. Heavy 3/4" hose with a non-kink feature. Been using a couple of them for several years now. Never take them in, just drain 'em.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

I have better luck with the commercial/pro/or-whatever-they're-calling-it-today grade of hoses than the soft ones. The soft ones tend to just give out and kink after a while, for me. Like Tngreenthumb, I leave most of mine out all year and just drain them before winter. So far, my pro grade ones are holding up well. Soaker hoses are sure a different story, but I gave up on them this year and went with drip tape. Hopefully it will last longer than a month (about what the average soaker hose was lasting).

• geneo74
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for all your good inputs. I'll be saving them for next spring, that is if I don't get mad and throw mine away next week. Brandon, I have one of those stiff 30 year hoses that I leave out most of year but attached is a nice soft 25 footer. Have those quick connectors on all my hoses, soakers, sprinklers & sprayers. Never cut water off at faucet, just squeeze the hose disconnect & connect.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

A few years back, I bought a bunch of those quick disconnects. I bought more than enough for all my hoses at the time. Since then, I've more than doubled the number of hoses I use. When I went back to the store to buy more quick disconnects, I found that they had changed the design, and none of the new ones exactly mate with my old ones (and believe me, I checked around). Now anytime I go to connect two hoses, I end up with a male type-B and a female type-A, or, a female type-A and a male type-B. It's hard to win with these dang irrigation products and quality, for many items, seems impossible to find at any cost.

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

Don't forget the rubber. Nothing beats a rubber hose in my opinion.

• honeybunny442
    14 years ago

We get the cheap ones and they usually last 2-3 years. When they break it's usually from being repeatedly dropped on the ground after being used, or some other abuse. This year I came out of the gh in the semi dark and stepped right on it and broke it. I think we got our new one from Walmart or Big Lots or someplace. It was cheap and works great.

Sponsored