Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocados Anyone?

Posted by katariina (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 9:40

Anyone growing avocado trees successfully? I suppose they need to be inside or in a greenhouse below 45 degrees. I'm in Nashville area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocados Anyone?

I have several seeds growing at the moment, one with a 2' stem at this point but after a little research I found that...

1 - the stem, root, leaf and bark of the plant is poisonous to almost all pets. So it doesn't make the best houseplant for if you have pets like mine.

2 - as an outdoor tree, the plant tends to become sterile after it experiences a frost and no longer bears fruit.

3 - there are, essentially, four sexes of the plant. A morning flowering male and an evening flowering male and a morning flowering female and an evening flowering female. You have to know which types you have and pair them up (morning to morning or evening to evening) to get proper pollination.

Other than that, they make beautiful trees with huge, smooth leaves. I can't wait for mine to fill out a little - they're almost ready to be transplanted into soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here