Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelajgood

Memphis Fall Swap

angelajgood
14 years ago

There is going to be one, isn't there? I hope so! I really wanted to go to the spring swap and missed it. I am new to gardening (this is my 2nd season) and I am obsessed. Two years ago we finally tore out the huge asphalt pad in the back of our house (we spent years renovating our old house, so the yard was moved down the list) and had a landscaper install a number of trees and shrubs. Now I am not happy with everything that is there. There is really nothing wrong with them, it's just that I want something different and think there are too many where they are. Gardening is all about editing, moving, and refining, right? I want to put in more native azaleas and such and some of the things I have are taking up alot of room.

I am planning to cull some Blue Muffin Arrowwood viburnum and at at least one or two Birkwood Virbunum and Judd viburnum. This is freaking my husband out a bit, but if I can swap he might feel a bit better. Would there likely be any interest in these?

I've been lurking for quite some time and have seen all the comments about there being not much traffic on this forum. I'm planning to try to do my part, since I have a great deal to yammer on about with this new obsession.

Thanks!

Angela

Comments (23)

• atokadawn
    14 years ago

Welcome to the group. YES there will be a fall swap. I for one will be intrested in some of your plants. I will know more later as to what all I will be bringing.

• countrycarolyn
    14 years ago

I want to be there for this fall swap not for sure if I can though.

Do people pot and root the plants to be traded or is it more like bare roots that are traded or seedlings, sorry new to these in person swaps?? Also do people put out list of what they are bringing and what they want prior to going??

• maemae0312
    14 years ago

We are a very informal group. We haven't gotten very big.....yet. The swap is pretty much anything goes,potted up plants, cuttings, bulbs, seedlings, seeds. Last swap I had a surplus of pots, so I traded those. Someone brought some decorative lighting to use as seed mats. So it is pretty much what you think your fellow gardener would be interested in. Has anybody thought of a date yet? I am already started putting things on my calender for fall and work always fills in its schedule early, I am no longer working weekends but just want to make sure I am not working the night before the swap! I get grumpy without sleep and y'all really don't want to see me grumpy!! :) And I love the swap and don't want to miss it!!!

Mary

• angelajgood
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sounds great. I'm going to go ahead and figure out which ones I'll bring and root prune those so they will transplant better. I'm looking forward to the swap!

• judydean
    14 years ago

I wouldn't miss the swap for anything! This will be my 3rd one and I love going! This brings me to my question.... at last year's fall swap, I got a cutting for an annual that blooms purple up and down the stem, it's about 3 feet tall now and popular with butterflies (I don't have hummingbirds until later this month). I don't remember the name or who gave it to me. Mary, was it you? Lani, maybe??? I feel silly not knowing the name of one of the most popular plants in the garden. Judy

• maemae0312
    14 years ago

Judy, look to see if maybe it is anise hyssop, it that is what it is, I brought it. Other than that I am not sure.

Mary

• jengc
    14 years ago

I might have some Iris if I go. I don't know if I can make Memphis or not. I have a TON of purple ones but I know someone that has a field of at least 25 different varieties of iris(es?). Yellow, black, gold, white with purple markings, anything you can imagine. He said they were from a guy that spent $8 a bulb for these in the 1980s. I dont have pictures or anything. Do you think anyone will believe me? They are just breathtaking.

I grow mostly vegetables so I wouldnt have any seeds ready for any kind of swap like that. I might also have a banana tree pup in the spring. I dont know. I just bought mine this spring. I dont even know for sure what kind it is! Boy I am a bunch of help eh? LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's Victory Garden Blog

• golfngardennut
    14 years ago

I am new here - moved into Ripley last week, and I would love to go to a swap! Who sets the date and location?

Pat

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

Not to step on toes but if you are looking for the basic plant swap info/rules and regs for all the plant swaps then you can hit the MTPS website for ideas at: http://www.midtnplantswap.com/

Now that Rhonda has taken over for me, Lavonne and I are looking forward to visiting the Memphis and Knoxville swaps!

• jengc
    14 years ago

Oh so sorry! I thought there was only one swap in TN and it was in Memphis this year! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's Victory Garden Blog

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

Jen we have the Memphis Plant Swap, The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap and the Knoxville Plant Swap. All three hold Spring and Fall swaps. So if you're REALLY addicted then you can hit six plant swaps in TN each year!!!

• sandsquid
    14 years ago

We'd be happy to host the Memphis Swap again at Good Shepherd U.M. Church.

Someone propose some dates and I'll clear it w/ "The Board".

• sandsquid
    14 years ago

>> We'd be happy to host the Memphis Swap again at Good Shepherd U.M. Church.

>> Someone propose some dates and I'll clear it w/ "The Board".

Anybody????

• mstagjd120
    14 years ago

Thanks sandsquid for letting us have it at the church again.

How about October 24 (Saturday)?

-jennifer

• leighmac
    14 years ago

Sounds great to me! I promise I will be there!

• maemae0312
    14 years ago

That day should be good for me too. My daughter has a band competition that day in Humbolt but the larger bands go last so I should be able to make both!!! I can't wait, guess I need to start getting things together now!!! Can't wait to see everybody!!!

• MemphisLilli
    14 years ago

I'm not working that weekend so can come. I've had to miss the previous swaps because I was working.

• sandsquid
    14 years ago

October 24 seems OK, but I have something else cooking in Oct that will take precedence, it just does not have a date yet.
    we are opening up a Community Dental Clinic for the Amish of Ethrridge / Three Oaks, TN and that may be the "Big Day" for us.

• atokadawn
    14 years ago

Hey.............. I am coming! I got my own truck this time!

• naturedetective
    14 years ago

OK OCT. 24th, Good Shepherd U M Church ???? Time ??? Please give physical address for my GPS. Thanks.

• leighmac
    14 years ago

Gads! Something always comes up! A niece is getting married that day. I don't yet know the time but I am hoping it will be mid to late afternoon. John, regarding the date, could it move back to the 17 if your other event conflicts? You always work very hard for the swap, so I would hate to think you might get into a double bind. I see from the thread several people have schedule issues too. I will be happy and as helpful as I can with any date. Can't promise to have much to share, but we will see.

• irisaddict
    14 years ago

Oct 17th is the weekend of the MTPS plant swap south of Nashville.

Eveyn

• judydean
    14 years ago

I'll be there! Don't know what I'm bringing yet except more empty yellow Tidy Cat "buckets" - I always have those. Judy

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?