Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holy beans-what's eating my leaves?

Posted by elsten TN (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 07 at 10:15

I have holes in the leaves of my bush beans and pole beans. Upon close inspection, I can't see anything that might be the culprit. No eggs, no bugs. Also growing in the bed are squash, cucumber, okra, tomatoes, peppers, flowers, herbs,... None of these leaves have the same problem. Although my brussel sprouts are getting eaten pretty badly, it's not in the same way. The bean leaves have holes in the middle of the leaves, and the brussel sprouts seem to be getting munched around the edges.
Any help with what might be the problem would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holy beans-what's eating my leaves?

There's no way to know for sure what kind of pests are eating your bean plants without seeing the insects or at least closely examining the damage. Below is a link to some UT Ag Ext Service publications that may be of help. There are papers about garden pests about 1/3 of the way down the page.

Have you tried simple insecticidal soap?

Here is a link that might be useful: UT Ag Ext Service Publications

o

Do you see any japanese beetles around? They are pretty heavy in my garden right now. They can chew a hole right in the center of a leaf. They are eating my Cannas but have not bothered anything else. I don't have veggies in my garden.

Rebecca

o

Do you have a good recipe for this simple soap? I've googled for them from time to time and find an enormous range of suggestions. I'd love to try something that has worked well in our area.
Thanks!

o

Any garden center or store that sells any type of gardening supplies should have insecticidal soap. I get mine from Home Depot. It's not that expensive, and buying it premixed is much easier than mixing things up. I don't usually have to use a huge amount, but, if I did, I might consider figuring out how to make it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here