Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joncraig_gw

What critter dub up bulbs?

JonCraig
10 years ago

Planted a little bed on the side of the house earlier this week. Had some random bulbs around, so I tossed those in--a couple hyacinths & a couple surprise lilies. The next morning, they had been dug up.

I've been battling voles for the last few weeks, but it's my understanding that they eat the bulbs from below, whereas my damage was definitely from above.

Googling on the subject suggests raccoons, skunks, or squirrels. I live in a subdivision, but my yard does back up to a treeline (50 yards away from the house), and a farmer's field beyond the treeline.

Three neighbors near me have multiple outside cats, so a squirrel venturing so close to the house is rare. I don't even have trouble with squirrels at the bird feeders.

I've had hyacinths in another bed for a couple years and never had a single one dug up. Photos of the crime scene below.

All that to say, any one have any ideas what might have dug them up? And is the usual "put a piece of hardware cloth/poultry cage above the bulbs" the correct solution in any case? Thanks!

--JC

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery