Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea Issues...

Posted by arjo_reich 6a (Nashville, TN) (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 07 at 11:21

I planted four hydrangea from pots to my garden over the holiday weekend and I have one that appears to be doing fine, one that looks a little shocked from the process and two that look like they're quite simply not going to make it. The ones in question have all their leaves laying down completely on the soil and they just look horrible.

I might have "torn up" their root ball a little too much while scoring it but I did all four of them equally as brutally, so I don't know why they would be hurting why the other two seem fine, or at least recovering to their new homes. Since they're all planted in line, and in the same type of amended soil, I don't think there's a real variance there to consider, but I'm open for all suggestions / ideas.

This is my first time with the plant and I'm unfamilar to how sensitive it is to being planted / watering, etc.

Their location is a darker section of a semi-shaded area, but they all still receive the first four hours of morning sun and then screened light from the trees for the rest of the day.

The pH of the soil started off at 4.5 but I amended it up to closer to 6.0 to make things a little more hospitable for my hostas and coral bells... I'm really reaching here, if you couldn't tell...

<shrug>

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea Issues...

If this happened to me, which it has before, I would cut the plant back thinking that whatever roots are functioning cannot handle the whole plant and so I give it a smaller top to have to supply to. I would try to water daily, unless they are sitting in a poorly draining area (which I doubt becoz of the drought). If poorly drained then I would let it dry out some. I would mulch everything and hope for the best. You may have injured the roots some or you may have left the roots exposed while you were digging or adjusting your planting hole ( I am famous for this) and so the roots dried out. Likely this is shock and it will recover. Good luck.

o
RE: Hydrangea Issues...

It might help if you could keep the sun off the ones that are having problems. A big box or even a big black pot placed over the hydrangea can sheild them and stop so much transpiration. Take the cover off once they are out of the sun. Cutting back some foliage will probably help as well. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here