Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o

Posted by babydoe (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 11:58

Hi, my name is Patty and we, my husband of 42 years and his 79 yr old mother, are in the process of moving from Ohio to a little 7 acre "horse farm" off Rt. 344. It carries an address of Whitesburg but is in Hawkins Co. We won't be fully moved until about the end of July. I have joined the Garden Web. Our place is so plantless that it is pitiful. We have a small area of woods and a few Mallow (aka mini hollyhocks) that are beautiful. The former owners were certainly not into any outside gardening. I have so many questions that it would take two days to put in writing. My one concern is vegetable gardening. Will I be better off to build raised beds. I had some questions previously and posted a question and a wonderful woman replied. I believe she was Mary whose specialty is roses. I have my hands full with a very sick mother in law, but I believe that we should take care of our parents as long as possible. I will have trouble making a plant swap but was wondering how far the MTPS is from Hawkins County and wondering if there are any others maybe closer in my area. I read a lot of the posts and plan to be active in the swaps, as Mom's health allows. Our faith is strong and know that the good Lord is always present.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie

Welcome to Tennessee. Please join us for the Knoxville plant swaps. See the link below.
The Fall swap will be Oct. 13 and we would love to have you come. Bring plants, food or just friendship.
It's about an hour's drive from Whitesburg, right off 1-40.
Pretty country out there. I've got friends in Mooresburg, just across the lake from you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knoxville Plant Swap

o

Welcome to Tennessee. The area you are moving to has wonderful soil actually. You can do raised beds or just plant in the ground. That area is one of the snowier areas of the state as it is close to the mountains. I lived in Hawkins County for 22 years and was able to grow about anything. You will see that there are many working farms in the area. Tobacco is still raised in the area. I now live in Cleveland TN which is way south of Hawkins County. It is like a whole other climate from your mountainous area.

Jackie

o

Madmouser and Jackier, thanks for the info. I will try my best to come to the swap. I am going to dig up some of my things here in Ohio and move south. I have some plants that are sentimental because my baby sister and I planted together and I just lost her in Dec. The tiny climbing rose she bought me is huge and we just planted it this past summer. Filled with beautiful red roses. I also got a start of a sweet autumn clematis from her that is awesome around my mailbox. I am looking to find some more of the clematis if anyone knows where to find it. Look forward to "talking" to all of you

o

Babydoe start getting some cuttings from that rose,may not be the best time of the year but you may get one or more to survive. I have a large one covering a trelis, that was a cutting from one my mother inlaw planted back in the 40's. Another one was a cutting I took from my mothers funeral. They both mean a lot to me and my wife.
Norm

o

Maternut, I am going to do that this week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here